Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quick boot cover question...

captain chaos

I'm fitting a new boot cover and noted in the build manual that someone has let me borrow ,that you should remove the metal insert before fitting under the FIA roll bar.

Now, I threw my old cover away a few weeks back but I am sure it had the metal insert still inside...I've also looked at the cover and the neat sewing will need splitting if I'm to remove it from the cover..

Anyone else come across the same problem?

Cheers

Gary

Edited by - captain chaos on 17 May 2008 15:30:15

Gaz

Try and make sure the garage is warm when you fit the cover as otherwise it will go loose when it gets warm. makes it abit harder to fit when cold but does make a neater job of it.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm not going to fit the poppers until later, when it's warmer. For now, I want to get it onto the top of the back panel, so i can fit the roll bar, so inturn I can finish fitting the rear dampers!

Anyway, just you be getting those oil and fuel lines ready!!!

Cheers

Gaz

When I fitted mine I drilled carefully through the mid-line of the metal strip and left it in place, passing the bolts for the 4 point harness through. I'm trusting that this does not compromise the strength of the harness bolts - it got through PBC and SVA like this.

One alternative that was suggested (here) at the time was to slit the underside of the cover at the point the harness bolt would pass through, fold the metal strip in two and remove it through that which might be neater than unpicking the end seam and re-stitching it.

See my Build Cam for progress on the Roadsport Sigma build. Now with photos!

Hi Gary,

all depends on if your going to fit the tonneau, poppers and all. I left my metal strip in place because I never considered myself much of a taylor or in great need of the cover. Time will tell. Hope linky appears or you can make a mess of the drilling opp.here

Still se7ening in the garage

When I fitted my new boot cover a couple of months ago, I carefully cut the sewing of the edge on one end of the metal strip. The strip passes easily through 1/2" hole and afterwards you can sew the edge back on.

So a very simple job without having to cut in the material. I am still wondering why they put this strip in the boot cover since everyones seems to remove it ? !

Jack Flash

Gaz,

You might be interested in seeing how my boot cover has been fitted ( not by me ). The builder used an ali channel section, that lifts the cover above the seat belt mountings. It's very neat and keep the cover tight.

I'm only in Shrewsbury, so give me a call 07855 837335.

Clive