Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Erratic oil pressure.

jeremybu

Could high oil temp cause the pressure sender to fail?

Since the oil temp rose to near the red on a Spa trackday, the pressure guage has been all over the place. Strangely, the pressure reading drops when the revs rise. As the car seems to be running OK, I suspect, as per usual, it's a sender problem. Is this a probable cause?

Thanks for any replies.

1.6 SV - GJ02JLO - If there's one thing I've learned, it's that it should have been something else.

That's the plan I think Steve, but do you think the oil temp could have wrecked the sender or would it just be coincidence?

1.6 SV - GJ02JLO - If there's one thing I've learned, it's that it should have been something else.

1. Have you tried soldering the sender wire directly on to the tag?

2. Have you tried earthing the sender? A hose clip round it with a take off lead to a good earth could do the trick.

This completely solved my 'I think I have a problem with my oil pressure sender' problems.

Yours could be good old knackered of course...

Don't forget to add lightness :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

It has been my experience that the claerbont senders start to behave irratically when they have seen high oil pressure on start up. I had three fail over two weeks on my Duratec engined car and they were all remote mounted away from any vibration and water. Not fit for purpose IMHO.

The car did have an oil change between the 2 days. There was no problem on the first day, and all this began on the second day.

After various searches on here, I think it could be a case of windage. First thing I think I'll try is taking a litre of oil out and run it and see if that sorts it.

If not then Plan A it is.

Thanks for the help so far.

Pressure has not gone above 4 (as per usual) but drops to below 1 on motorway cruise which it has never done. This, along with the substantial temp rise (again oil has always sat at around 80) leads me to the windage theory.

Always fit an oil pressure warning switch / f'off big or bright light so you see it.

35psi will warn you early enough. That way you have a back up and these ARE very reliable,

Don't forget to add lightness :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

7-8 bar.......which I wuld have thought should be within the spec of the sender but I don't know the exact spec of the sender so I could be wrong.

Whatever causes these to fail is irrelevant, Caterham should be supplying a sender which works and is reliable in the application for which it is being used.........can it really be that difficult?

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here