Click here if you are having website access problems ×

csr steering wheel

Darren Ward

Hi

Has anyone changed the standard steering wheel in a csr 260 / swoopy dash 🤔

Would like to fit a smaller suede momo if poss. Standard one catches my knees on track day driving.

A removeable one would be nice but not essential.

Cheers

Darren *smile*

I am really interested in the response to this!

The standard momo one is heavy steel and, while I am not concerned about the weight, I am concerned about my wrists in the event of a front on shunt. (an ally one would buckle, the steel would break a wrist or two).

Also, I would like a bit more arm length and a non-dished one would help.

However, There is not much room to push it towards the dash as the casing with all the indicator / wiper clutter prevents this.

This actually raises another query. The easiest way to get my straighter arm position is to move the seat back but then I cannot reach the pedals! (non ajustable in a CSR). I seem to remember someone talking about a factory mod to bring them forward. Any more info??

This is my fourth seven and I just cannot seem to get comfortable as I have been with all the ajustability of the others.

Helpful advice most appreciated!

david

CoSwoRth it!

Thanks Ian and David

I have a flat bottomed wheel on a Golf R32, fine when your going straight but its the tighter corners on track that can cause me a problem in the CSR (hands at ten to two)just seem to catch the knees.

I have adjustable peddle box as a factory fitted option which helps.

Just thought it may be poss. to drill a smaller momo to fit, but was not sure about the centre horn thingy.

Mav, you did tell me last week that this may be a tricky one but thought it was worth a posting.

Any help would be greatly received

Cheers *wink*

Darren

Hi Darren,

First, what is this factory ajustable pedal option and can I do it myself? What have they offered, is it like the old style where you have an optional set of fixing holes? Any pictures?

Second. When I change the wheel (which I will) I will simply wire in a horn button somewhere. If you are not bothered about 'spoiling' a panel you could mount it on the padded right hand bit of the swoooopy dash. ( I am actually considering getting rid of the indicator stalks and all the silly clutter and rewire to switches on said panel: a winter task I feel!).

Or, you could find a less intrusive place, even on the shroud for the stalks. Any way it should not be a problem enough to stop you chosing the wheel of your choice.

Let me know your thoughts.

david

CoSwoRth it!

Mav,

Thanks for the link to the ajustable pedal. Pity these were not fitted at order time and had to be an option!

I reckon a trip to my friendly welder might prove useful. Especially since CC are charging some 80 nicker for the brake and clutch and do not offer a throttle (although I guess this could be bent)

Regards,

david

CoSwoRth it!

Edited by - Caesar on 16 May 2008 20:55:32

If of any use I have just fitted adjustable pedals to my CSR. A fairly easy job, bit fiddly in places though, in the usual 'Caterham way'. They are a definate improvement, but you will probably need to re-adjust pedals/seat position a few times to get comfortable. So far on my 2nd adjustment and anticipate one more tweek will get it as good as I can.

Have to say though, do not believe it will ever be as comfortable as previous S3 - combination of being 5' 8" in a fat boys car, lowed floor and lump of a fixed steering wheel.

Hi Malcolm.

1. I have to ask, did you shell out nearly ninety quid for these?

2. What did you do with the throttle pedal?

3. do you want to flog me your old pedals at an incredibaly cheap price so I can mod them myself? !!

david

CoSwoRth it!

Hi David,

1. Yes - rush of blood .........

2. To date, nothing. Have got an o/a position that just about suits and can reach

throttle. May consider messing about with it later - how I don't know.

3. Possibly - how about 90 sobs 😬. Can you define 'incredibly cheap' without me

taking offence ?

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I am sorry to see that there is another sad chap sat at his 'pooter this time of night! (at least i am at work)

I have already built my pedals out a bit but not enough, If I bought yours for the incredibly cheap price of £20 I could take them to my welder. Otherwise, I will simply take mine off and not drive for a couple of days as he fixes them.

I like the idea of the CC ones but think the price a tad steep!

d

CoSwoRth it!

Morning David,

Had to go to bed straight after posting - early tee time !

Don't feel too offended by 20 notes, so they're yours if you want them.

Think we're not far apart as I'm in East Grinstead. Am happy to have a run out tomorrow, or you can - give me a buzz 07764 775114

Hi Mlacolm,

Sorry, I have been away for a couple of days, just got back.

I will ring you this afternoon / evening and see if I can collect.

Many Thanks!

david

moby: 07768 00 44 00

CoSwoRth it!