Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where can i get a new Radiator for a HPC - the large one

Davejenks23

The radiator on my HPC is weeping. I have recently bought the car and it's still under warranty. However Caterham can't get hold of a new one as it is the quite rare large radiator. Does anyone know where they could get hold of one of these larger radiators for the HPC (VX2.0) as they will have to just mend the current one if they can't get hold of a new one.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Cheers Guys

Cheers

Dave Jenkins

How long do ali rads last?

I repaired my weeping rad - The bobins had drooped (ooh er) and the bottom left edge had rubbed on the nose cose. Cleaned it well, fluxed it then blowtorched a hard solder on. Cleaned that up adn put a nice thickness of JBweld over it - nothing will get thought that - famous last words but its 2 years on now...

New bobins are a must after 7-8 odd years...

Don't forget to add lightness :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Typical - gave mine away 3 months ago after cluttering the garage for 5 years.

I fitted a second hand ally one and have had no problems after quite a number of mainly racing miles. It also saves 5 kg - weight off the front end of a Vx car is desirable.

Barry

"It also saves 5 kg - weight off the front end of a Vx car is desirable."

Are you talking about the old XF type rad vs a road ali one? The HPC one (inc water) weighs much the same as the race ali one as it holds more coolant...

Here are the weights I have measured / acquired

Radiator ali road (water 1.65kgs)= 2.9kg

Radiator ali race (water 2.15kgs) = 3.8kg

Radiator VX HPC standard (inc water)= 3.9kg

Radiator XF old type (dry) = 6.4kg

Radiator Radtec ali (inc water) = 3.4kg

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

here

Steve,

It never ceases to amaze me how you manage to know all these weights! You're a mine of information!

I'm currently rebuilding my Xflow, and have come across a slight radiator problem. My original 'large core' had a big dent in the bottom, and the core was also bashed pretty bad, but I maneged to buy a new steel rad from Fleabay for 30 quid. This was a new, unused Caterham rad, but about half the width of my original. I haven't tried this new one yet (engine still in bits), but just got a quote of 180 quid to rebuild my original unit.

The question is, will this newer, slimmer, unit be adequate enough?

Apologies for slight hijack!

I have a Radtec ali rad on my HPC, it is the second one i have had as the first one failed after 3 years and couldn't be repaired i paid £160 for it, don't let the fact i had a failure put you off it is much more efficient than the original cc supplied rad, plus it allows me to get my cold air intake over the top as the reservoirs are on the sides instead of top & bottom. Some pics of rad in this gallery here

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

Ah well years of taking things off and weighing them helps...

My understanding is that you will get about 5 years from an ali rad - this is experience from the racing fraternity.

My 155bhp XF had a 74 deg thermostat and the then standard radiator. Never any problems did have a dry sump which helps cool the oil while in the pipes/tank a little I guess. Dunno if your smaller one will be ok - try it and see. Wait for the hottest day of the year and a trafic jam to find out *smile*

I'm not sure the VX XE in 175 - 220bhp trim has an issue with cooling warranting a different rad - of course if it broken you need a new one. If you want it cooler then the first port of call is to fit a Calibra Turbo thermostat - 82deg I seem to recall.

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 17 May 2008 10:31:42

Steve,

Maybe mine wasn't a standard HPC rad. My car is an ex Vauxhall Challenge car. It was a like a steel version of a triple pass and was very heavy, as stated. The weight differences were as measured. I replaced it with the standard road ally version. I gave it to a friend with an old xflow but wasn't identical to the one he had (which was leaking).

Barry

Thanks Barry - another one for the weights database *wink*

Probably built to be 3 times as strong too so it could be used as a battering ram to get through what passes for wheel to wheel racing in the Caterham one make series.

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

here