Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Injection fuel pressure regulator prob

stevefoster

Anybody had similar probs?

I started out running a Malpassi adjustable back in 2003.

That became unreliable - fine when cold and then dropping pressure when under the bonnet temps climb.

Philw had the same problem with his. I believe that was also a Malpassi.

So I fitted the rather 2nd hand looking Webcon adjustable one that came with all the injection kit I bought 2nd hand. 2-3 years of problem free running. Nice steady 50psi - I have the Rover 220 turbo pump in the tank.

Over the last 6 months or so the Webcon one has also started playing up. Dropped from 50 to 40 on runs and when very hot 50 to 30. I know what the engine feels like when it's leaning off. It never got so bad as to spit at me though the Throttle Bodies's though.

I had than problem way back and the warm up map (which worked fine in colder seasons was not right come summer).

Good job I'm not trying for any endurance speed records with it leaning off like that. Trying to set it when hot I could get no more than 45psi max with the reg set fully high.

Once all was cold I ran the pump again and got an over healthy 60-65psi.

Hmm. Time for a new FPR I thought. Philw had fitted a Webcon fixed pressure one and found it reliable, so I ordered one. It arrived yesterday - WFR535. - 3.5bar (or ~50psi to you and I).

WFR535 on the receipt, same on the box and same even stamped on the body of the thing.

Trouble is it shows a nice consistent 3bar = ~40psi ☹️

I suppose there could be a prob with the unit - 3 bar got stamped 3.5 bar or something.

or my gauge is wrong by 0.5 bar.

The gauge is the little white faced round type FSEFPG002 on Burton's website.

Think I'll call Burton today...

Other things to considered pump/filter probs and even tank jelly (Iread on Blatchat as a possible problem).

I could remap to 3bar but unfortunately my lambda / O2 measuring kit no longer works so that is not easy option.

Thanks Phil - that would be good.

Is you O2 sensor easy to transfer / borrow? [hopeful looking smiley]

Pics of mine here (scroll onward for other 3).

here

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 9 May 2008 10:37:05

I think I'd definitely check the pump and filter. I was looking at my fuel filter this afternoon and thinking its been on there for a very long time without being checked. I don't know whether this would be safe to do but you could block off the fuel return pipe and see whether the pressure rises thereby eliminating the pump and filter.

Hmm, It will rise to well over 60psi no problem just by adjusting the Malpassi or the Webcon pressure regs when they are cold. Pump is the Rover 220 Turbo / JPE jobbie.

My filter has only done 5 years of light mileage...

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

here

Thinking about it I am giving Mr Electric a fair old ride getting to the fuel pump.

Fuse, Inertia switch, overide switch all in line. Think I might try removing a few if the FPR turns out to be ok.

I remembered this little tip from my own website *smile*:

You can set the pressure on the reg by using a psi car foot pump and taking it to 50psi (for my set up) and open the valve until you hear air escaping.

Must try that with the 3.5 bar FPR that seems to be 3 bar...

Don't forget to add lightness :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

here

Update.

Drove the car to MOT on new 3.5 bar FPR.

Was much better than before none of teh leaning out / hesitancy I had previously...

Still reckon the map could do with a tweak here and there though.

Popped over to Philw's and at his place my pressure gauge was showing just 27psi?!

We fitted his very similar gauge and got a nice 3.5 bar / 48psi. So gauge and reg were up the spout... Nice to try another gauge and see I am getting 3.5 bar for a 3.5bar stamped gauge.

Phil pulled off the side bung on my gauge (some people just can't leave things alone can they *smile*)

This let some of the damping oily stuff out - thanks Phil. Tried my gauge again and it was now reading 3.5 bar - Phil you are a genius 😬

Drove home and it looked at it on the drive while still running and it was reading ~3bar while still running. The car performed just the same as on the way there.

The electrics are not as bad as I thought. I have an inertia switch in the positive side.

I have a relay to turn the pump on and a 20amp fuse.

The switch on the earth side is just switching the earth away from the relay power so not carrying the juice to the pump.

Don't forget to add lightness :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

here