Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Unusual battery behaviour?

I.Mupferit

I've been happily using the 7 to work these last few days and apart from a slight hesitancy or misfire I noticed this morning, all was well and I arrived home tonight, drove straight into the garage, switched off and as always plugged the battery conditioner in. Normally, unless I have been using full beam, heater, screen heater etc, the Airflow conditioner always shows a full charge and just the single orange light comes on.

Tonight as always, the orange light only came on so I went indoors but 30 minutes later when I went back out to the garage, the green charging light was also on. 90 minutes later it is still on as though the battery has discharged slightly and is still being charged.

Everything electrical is off and the battery isolator key removed so I am wondering if the battery is on the way out but of more relevance, could this be the source of the very occasional misfire I seem to be getting whilst cruising at say 80? (not that I would do that of course *wink*) It has done it before but hasn't done it all this week until today and if I accelerate it clears and is ok again. I'm confused. *confused*

How can you test if a battery is about to die on you and could this have caused the slight hesitance or misfire? It is a Banner about 3.5 years old and has always been on a conditioner btw.

Or could the alternator be a bit iffy? I have cleaned and tightened all connections only recently so they are ok I am sure but maybe the alternator is suspect although it does show a charge of 14.2v whilst idlng and doesn't fall away when I rev the engine. I'm inclined to wonder about the battery I think.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 8 May 2008 22:54:22

You may well be right Adam. *rolleyes*

The first Banner in my last 7 lasted 6 years, and I only changed it then because we were going to France for 2 weeks and I didn't want to risk a battery failure miles from anywhere as I thought it had to be coming to the end of its life.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

R470.69 😬

Brent,

If this is an Optimate SP III the lights from top to botton are:

1. Green - chargered OK

2. Red - Charging Failure

3. Yellow - Normal Charging

4. Orange - Sulpated/Deep Discharge

Do you mean Orange or Yellow as you should never have an orange unless something is wrong?

Dick

-----And all I ask is a fast car and a momo to steer her by

Actually reading your description again I don't think it is an Optimate, but perhaps an Accumate?

Basically the light combination is trying to tell you something, but that is dependent on the charger make/model.

Dick

-----And all I ask is a fast car and a momo to steer her by

Edited by - Dick Whittington on 9 May 2008 11:23:08

Errmm well I sussed the light was trying to tell me something, question is what though? *confused*

It is an Airflow unit which has 2 lights on the right, orange when the battery is fully charged then orange + green when it is being charged. On the left are a row of vertical lights with red at the bottom (you have a seriously knackered battery) and a rising set of greens to show the actual state with the conditioner turned off IYSWIM.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

R470.69 😬

Brent,

Well sounds like the battery is on the way out or it could be a blib (basically I don't know *confused*). If it is a blib then you would see the problem again and if it is beginning to fail, you will. I would monitor it closely to determine which. It could be worth checking the connections again too as a poorly connected battery can charge like a sulphated battery. Does the isolator also isolate the alternator, mine doesn't?

If you decide to replace it with a Gel battery (like a Powervamp) I would be weary of using this charger, even though it say it handles Gel batteries, because it also says it "exercises the battery" which Edd at Powervamp said is a very bad thing for Gel batteries. An Optimate is certainly OK and I presume the Powervamp one will be too. It is worth checking out beforehand.

Dick

And all I ask is a fast car and a momo to steer her by