Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering Column Clamp

Ian_Brandon

I've read in a couple of threads that there is a proper order to re-tightening the upper column clamp having done the filing flat bit. There is a reference to the build manual, but as I don't have one, can anyone advise if its grub screw (or in my case locktited threaded bolt) first or clamp nuts first.

Thanks

Ian

I was told to do the grub screw first the finish the clamp off. The reason given was that it was easier to do up a large bolt nice and tight than a small grub screw which you could strip the thread on. It worked for me but happy to be corrected.

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

All well and good, except that it's then so easy to overtighten the clamp bolts and bend the clamp around the grub screw if it protrudes too far - don't ask me how I found that out *redface*

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.

Maybe once the grub screw position was sorted, I might loosen the clamp bolts off a bit, tighten the grub screw, and then re-tighten the clamp bolts, but not until I knew the position of the grub screw . . . so I'm still backing my method *tongue*

If I remember correctly it is grub screew in a fraction then finger tighten bolts then grub screew then blots and what ever you do do not over tighten bolts otherwise it is a panic phone call to caterham parts 😔

I'm with Adam on this - do the clamp up then tighten the grub screw.

Insert the grub screw loosely into the clamp. Secure the two halves of the clamp using two bolts (2), plain washers (10) and spring washers (11). Tighten the grub screw with an Allen key to eliminate any free play in the steering. Lock the grub screw into place using lock nut (6).

From the Assembly Guide

It's only taken four and a half years - I have started my website at last! Early days yet . . .

The clamp then the grub screw then drive it and repeat the latter *smile*

In the end the two parts of the column rather lock together over the years and are a pain to separate.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Thanks for your input one and all.

Gone with the build manual solution but if anything its worse. Because there was an indentation on the column flat I've moved the clamp down slightly to a virgin bit of flat column, but maybe I should have just have flatted the original section.

Off to have another go.

My experience has been that no matter which way I did it the darn thing always eventually works loose - something that I just can't get out of my head along with the sheared column story which I remember from somewhere.

I guess that having your steering torque effectively transmitted through a grub screw 3mm wide is probably not an ideal situation.

I have now binned the lot and made a one piece hollow column, because I reckon the chances of getting speared by the column because of a shunt are outweighed by the likelyhood of the standard meccano setup failing and causing a shunt!

During the process of making the new column I had cause to saw the old lower column and can report that it is as soft as cheese.... 😳 Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing but there you go!

Having seen how much frontal impact a 7 can take without completely crumpling I think it would already be a fatal accident if the column were to be moved more than 2 feet ☹️ ☹️

I've thought about this a bit since my post build check picked up that I'd omitted the locking nut on the grub screw *eek*

I believe the design means that the steering will work if the grub screw came lose albeit there will be some slack in the column. The combination of the flats on the lower and upper column with clamp going across them means they cannot turn independantly.

Just my two penneth.

Amended to say, clamp first then grub screw.

Ian

Edited by - Wrightpayne on 9 May 2008 00:52:53

Agree with the above, steering still works, just with play even if grub screw isnt present. My advice? Do the clamp first with spring washers, get it in the right position and nearly tight. Then do the grub screw, finally tighten the clamp bolts.

Perhaps I should clarify my offering.

I should have said, tighten the clamp bolts until they just nip up as it were, then tighten the grub screw and finally tighten the clamp bolts to the correct torque. Sorry for any confusion.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬