Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Think I have found the leak

regroo

The other week I found a small patch of coolant on the floor. I removed the cambelt cover and had a look at things and found a drip hanging from a mounting bolt to the left of the pump. Assuming it was the pump I started preparing. Tonight after a blast last night the patch as there again, I had topped the tank and it is a small leak. On the side of the engine that the water rail is mounted at the base of the head there is a small overhang. I cant see any pathway to this point other than out of the joining faces ☹️. This was dripping directly down onto the mounting bolt, above the ledge there just the head casting.

I dont want to assume something and it will be looked at very soon but are my fears of the obvious unfounded?

Mav,

This ledge that the collant is hanging on is forwards of the rail, I sort of figured it would blow back accross the block if it was leaking from there. I will change the gasket as a matter of course to rule it out. Also there is no obvious contamination in the header tank.

At least life is never dull 😬

Just re-checked the water rail bolts, they are tight and there are no obvious drips from the rail. Just read a thread that seemed to identify the same issue, leaking at the very front base of the head over the alternator bracket. Will run it up tomorrow and see if I can see it weeping.

Update.

Ran the car upto 80 or so degrees watching the rail and the little ledge to see what happened. There was a slight mist on the forward mount, after reading the other posts I am guessing it is porous. Anyway wiped it all down then got bored of watching water dry and went out for a spin. Nothing unusual temp wise and when I returned I inspected everything again and it was dry. I have left a piece of paper under the car and under the front mounting of the water rail, perhaps as it cools something contracts and starts leaking.

Dont know if I am happier or not *confused*