Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hose Diameter - VX engine

alan c

The hoses on the cooling system on my VX engined HPC are old and so I am about to replace them. I want to make sure I have the right size hoses ready to go straight on so can anyone tell me the diameter of the hose that connects the expansion tank to the system is it 10mm or 12mm?

Alan

Thanks no confusion caused. Its the internal diameter I needed, I will get some 8mm hose and then hopefully I will have all I need.

I am fitting a new rad and all new hoses and didn't want to get part way through the job and get stuck due to not having a hose of the right size.

Alan

Alan, please check the hose you have removed and see if it has a small plastic restrictor inserted into it, i didn't fit this when my car was new and it wouldn't keep the water in the system, have a look at Ian's header tank thread. going out to play with the car shortly and will see if i can measure the hose without disconnecting anything.

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

Dave - thanks but I already have replacements for those hoses.

Kevin - I am not aware that there is any restrictor in the hose to the header tank right now but I will check and move it across if there is. I am not having any problems its just a precautionary change of 15 year old hoses so doing a like for like replacement except for the rad which will be a nice new aluminium one 😬 that I was going to fit to my old car and never did. Its only been in the box for a year now 😳

When it was last at James Whiting he did comment that it had some mod to the system that cured a problem in early VX cars but I cannot remember exactly what it was.

Cheers

Alan

Alan

When I built the car Caterham supplied a restrictor to place internaly in the return pipe to flat Rover the expansion tank but I now use a standard VX tank without the restrictor with no problems

The VX tank has more capacity and a better cap

John

Hi Alan

The header tank has a VX part number on the side I will look tomorow

I had to make my own fixing struts and you need to order the cap as it does not come with the tank

John

John - thanks I will try and have a look tonight and see what it says on the current tank. Next weekend is free so will do the change then. It was definately getting a bit hot yesterday but only when going slow or in traffic. It never gets into the red zone so not a major problem but I think a better rad and an overide switch will give me peace of mind.

When it does get hot with little airflow the fuel pump starts to go like crazy which I suspect means the pressure is dropping so I can keep it all cooler that will hopefully stop as well.

Alan

John,

The fan does cut in but the gauge is getting close to 100 before it does, I have just replaced the sender unit so that is Ok. With the old sender unit the gauge hardle moved at all! The system is generally ok I just have an aluminium radiator (bought for my old car and never fitted) so I am fitting it and changing the hoses at the same time. I have a new fan switch to go with the new rad and I will add an overide as well. Its not loosing water at all so for the present I am just replacing like for like, more or less. I may get into swirl pots etc in due course if I need to or even just for the upgrade factor 😬

Alan