Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where and how do you fit your Autocom

Petrolhead

Got a tour coming up in a couple of weeks and need to fit the Autocom

Just after some suggestion as to where to fit it and pics if anyone have any.

In the R5 it was in the boot but by the time I filled the boot up it was hard to get at and not very well installed.

-----My site-----

Cable tied to the chassis in the boot, but near the top where accessible. Use a small piece of foam to allow the cable ties to 'grip' the Autocome unit. Then the headset leads pop out ove the outer shoulders of the driver and passenger to be connected into the headsets.

Where am I?

Installed in the boot on my SV Peter. Autocom made up a couple of flying leads with panel mount sockets for me, so I have two sockets in the rear bulkhead to plug the headsets into. Works well, and with the extra room in the SV boot (slightly reduced in the csr) it's never been a problem. Easy to run a power feed from the fuel pump too.

Music and phone leads pop out under the boot cover (between the two tonneau popers) down the bulkhead and along the tunnel side. I'll try and get you a pic later if I get chance...

Cheers Mav, that would be great *thumbup*

BTW why is the CSR boot shallower? I assume its because of the tank being higher to accomodate the IRS. Its a pitty as I was looking forward to a bigger boot to swallow up the extra shoes Jenny will want to take when we go to France 😬

My site

Velcroed to the bulkhead under the scuttle - to the right of the steering column. Cables tie-wrapped together, fed over the column and behind the wiring loom. Cig lighter plug into a 4 gang socket tie-wrapped to front of heater case, headset wire to driver down to handbrake area. Passenger side cable, MP3 and phone cables to passenger side. Cables droop naturally out of the way down side of seat,. but enough slack to hang headsets on roll bar when not needed.

Currently lent to a mate with a Mini with a straight cut box, taking his G/F camping in France . . . he was of the opinion that not hearing her was a benefit .. . she wasn't . . . 😬

Bri

Peter,

The boot ont he CSR is indedd smaller due to the IRS and then fuel tank location. It's still bigger than the Std S3 boot though.

Don't forget the footwells are longer too, so Jenny should have plenty of room inform of her for the extras she wants to take *thumbup*

In the R5 it was in the boot but by the time I filled the boot up it was hard to get at
I've never had to get at mine once set up. It's velcroed and cable tied to a metal plate fixed across the rear bulkhead A frame, in the centre.

I've fitted two headset sockets in the rear bulkhead, and the PMR radio is mounted on the bulkhead between the seats, with push-to-talk (car to car) button at present on a loose cable *redface* but hopefully soon to be on the steering wheel *cool*

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets (and AA recovery truck 😳)

Hi,

I got a Starcom and Velcroed it to the LH Bulkhead. Wired the supply from the Ignition switch and made up a small box which I velcroed between the seats .This box(from Maplin) had 2 headset sockets and a stereo 3.5" socket fiited to it and so its now dead easy to connect up the headsets/mp3 player. All wires run under the Carpet.

Made our trip to Europe superb and now cant wait for Le Mans with Pink Floyd blasting away.

Steve.

Ps will try to take some pics and post soon.

Northerner in a Nova Violet Brute.S777 XTC

Under dash, sitting on top of tunnel top (Velcro). Easy to adjust and connect/disconnect electrical items as necessary. Cables also are the perfect length to come down the tunnel and terminate just beside the seats.

Willie

Under dash, sitting on top of tunnel top (Velcro). Easy to adjust and connect/disconnect electrical items as necessary. Cables also are the perfect length to come down the tunnel and terminate just beside the seats.

Same here. Cables run under transmission tunnel and then velcro headsets onto the back of the cokcpit with a velcro tongue from the boot.

My ... Preciousss!