Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dunce question about trickle chargers / batt conditioners

Neil_K

Yes, my Banner is dead. At least I think it's dead. Flat as a hedgehog on an A road and trying to jump it will only just get it to turn over.

So assuming that means it is dead, I have a silly question about trickle chargers and battery conditioners. I'm thinking of replacing the Banner with a Powervamp or equiv and then possibly getting a trickle charger/conditioner.

[sTUPID QUESTION] Are these conditioners supplied power through the mains? I have no power in my garage which would render any form of conditioner useless in this instance *confused* [/sTUPID QUESTION]

Where am I?

You can get solar trickle chargers (saw a couple of non-Caterhams at Stoneleigh yesterday with them) which you may be able to mount on the garage roof. No idea what they are like, but might be worth a try.

Maplin sell them.

Guy

-----See some pictures of the build here. 13000 miles completed!

Neil,

I've got an Optimate if you want to borrow it... drop me a mail or call if you do...

The optimate runs a test on the battery and therefore should be able to confirm whether it is dead or not.

Chris

Caravan people use the solar panel types to charge their batteries (no... I'm not one of them...) so it should be fine for charging yours.

The one my parents had was only small (approx 300mm x 150mm).

I may get one for my garage roof and plug into the 7.

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬

I used a solar trickle charger for a while - while it worked....

Certainly the cheaper ones are not up to being exposed to the elements and perhaps only work for any length of time behind a windscreen and under a roof.

Disconnecting the battery to remove the drain on it when you leave the car would probably be a good first measure.

Get an inverter, plug it into the Caterham battery and run the trickle charger from that! Simple.

(Actually it could work if you used a BIG leasure battery to drive the inverter, and took it away for charging every so often. Depends how much power the inverter would waste, I guess).

-----

We have tamed lightning, and now use it to make sand think.

I think i'll just take the battery out of the seven and bring it into the house every winter for a top-up. The Powervamps seem to be good at holding charge through the cold months anyway.

Where am I?

Neil,

Edd at Powervamp said that the Gel type batteries should always be fully charged. i.e.

1. Charged and disconnect/completely isolated

2. Charged and then held with a float voltage

That implies that after every usage, no matter how small, it needs to be recharged. Which is what I do. But a little difficult in your case.

Dick

-----And all I ask is a fast car and a momo to steer her by

That implies that after every usage, no matter how small, it needs to be recharged.
Only if you're running total loss ignition (which you won't be on a road car). Assuming "usage" means driving the thing, it's going to be recharged by the alternator as you drive it.

-----

We have tamed lightning, and now use it to make sand think.

The documentation that comes with it say that the alternator may not be capable of returning the battery to full charge and so recommends using a charger/conditioner. That is part of the reason why the try to sell you a charger too.

Dick

-----And all I ask is a fast car and a momo to steer her by