Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1993 dedion brake discs

Brucey

Hello Blatchatters *wavey*

I went to fit my newly aquired set of Mintex front pads and realised my front discs had ridges that would interfere with the slightly larger pads. I then bought a faceplate for my lathe and made a fixture so the discs they could be accurately skimmed. They need about 1mm off each side.

I have since found out that my local motor factor can supply a pair of Triumph Spitfire discs for £30!....so I ordered a pair 😔. My current intention is to fit the new discs on the front with the Mintex pads, skim the old discs and fit them to the back with new std pads.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Are the front discs the same as the back discs? (I know I could take the wheels off and look *rolleyes*)

2. Is a reasonable lathe cut surface o.k. for discs (it's nowhere as polished as the old surface).

3. Are all replacement discs the same? The pattern discs I fitted to my Peugeot 205 didn't seem to last as long as the originals, but we were talking of 50K between changes!

Bruce.

Yes, the discs are the same front and rear.

Would taking a further 2mm off already worn discs take them below the minimum thickness? For the extra £30 I would rather have new discs all round.

Cheers Ged,

I don't know, what is the minimum thickness? As I was up until 1 in the morning making my disc skimming fixture, I thought I'd give it a go!

I have a wind back tool, how hard is it to remove rear discs? The fronts take me about 15 mins per side.

Bruce.