Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vx boys....castor???

captain chaos

Just rebuilding my car and it's time to start putting the front end together. I took loads of photos during the strip down and my lower wishbones were at at...

front leg...2 behind, rear leg..1 in front and 3 behind...i'm just trying to get my head around whether that's more or less castor than the factory setting?

If I go to 2 and 2 on the rear leg, what is that doing?

Cheers

gary

Thanks Ric but I was hoping for a little more technical insight than that *wink*

The build manual says 2/2...but Clive Kenrick built my car originally and I was just curious as to what he'd set it to...is that more or less castor than factory set up...

Cheers

Gary

Gary I believe that the more washers you put in front of the wishbones the more you will stand the upright vertical and that will give less Castor angle and more shopping trolley characteristics, washers behind the wishbones lay the upright back from the vertical, give more castor and more self centering, but will give a heavier steering. I think i had it explained to me relative to pedal cycles, a vertical fork makes a circus clowns bike that is almost imposible to ride, most bicycles have curved forks well in front of the headset bearing in the frame. will have a look at my HPC on widetrack to see how many washers i have, and what castor. I can remember that it did not tally with what CC advised in the instructions as they were from a post 96 anti dive chassis.

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

My HPC on widetrack has two washers behind the front wishbone mounting and in front of the chassis here and two washers in front of the rear wishbone mounting and behind the chassis here

drives ok but have had comments that the steering is heavy compared to a newer post 96 chassis set up, i like the feel of it 😬

Kevin R

mines 2/2 too. Post 96.

My build manual shows a pic of 2/2 spacers and has this text.

"The adjustment of castor is achieved by moving the lower front wishbone backwards or forwards in the chassis using spacing washers, therefore altering the effective kingpin angle in side elevation. Increasing the angle away from vertical will produce more pronounced self centring of the steering and hence a greater feeling of stability, but at the expense of heavier steering.

Recommended suspension alignment - road use standard and wide track.

Castor: 5 deg00' +/- 1 deg00' (0deg45' variation left to right, front)"

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback...

However, what is was trying to establish was whether my set up (3/1)increased or decreased the castor and what effect that would have on the handling, not too concerned about weight of steering..I just want it to grip like **** in the corners!

I think your 1/3 means you have less castor doesn't it? You have pushed the lower backward by 1 spacer thus the upright is more upright.

If the 2/2 is 5 deg (I read that into what the build manual says) and Mr drive like he stole it ECR has 2.5 (assume this is good for fast work) perhaps what you have is close to this?

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

here

Well I can only comment from having driven all of the 60's big block V8's on various tracks and finding that loads of castor ~5-6 degrees helps to get the beasts to turn in.

List includes Cobra, Daytona Cobra, Mustang, GT40 (ok only the 3500cc version), Corvette etc - this is on gtl btw *wink*

Don't forget to add lightness :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

here

spoke to ECR today, he agreed about it being more about feel than actual mid corner grip..obviously, if it changes the way steering feels, if the feeling suits you, inturn it could give you greater confidence on the feeling of turn in.

I assum then that Alex has max castor and max feel of centering...

Gary, i think Alex has less castor as Steve sugests, all the washers in front of the chassis mounting pushing the lower wishbone forward would give maximum castor, alex seems to have the most opposide possible to this.

Kevin R