Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A dumb question

TobyCoulson

Having just spent 10 minutes putting 8lts into my fuel tank,I was wondering is this normal??

Caterham said I should use a Shell station as opposed to a BP one as their nozzles were more friendly but no matter what I tried I could not get anything like a normal flow into the tank.

Or is it just me being a prat? *wink*

Pound to a penny, its that little flappy thing inside the filler neck!

I recently changed my filler cap to the aero variety and despite being aware of the problem of getting the pump nozzle to depress the flap far enough to allow a smooth flow, stll ended up using a piece of wire to hold it open while I filled up! *rolleyes*

Foggy the Silver Seven !!

To be honest, fellow blatchatters strongly advise removing the flap if you find yourself having to remove the neck for some reason. As the aero I fitted was of the later type with a more elongated opening to allow the nozzle to depress more, I didn't bother. Of course I wish I had now!! ☹️

They do reckon that petrol station nozzles can vary so it may well be worth experimenting with the different forecourts in your area. Won't solve the problem of course, hence the wire in my case! *smile*

Foggy the Silver Seven !!

Aha so it's not just me then.

I have read the threads and the common cure is to remove the flap at the first service as anger,tools and me don't always end in a happy result.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder little "joy" I shall discover next *smile*