Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Indicators Not Working - Help Please

smpward

Hi

Recently collected my Caterham Superlight SV Sigma 150 and have an electrical problem, I think. Today the indicators would not work and the hazard light switch seem to make an electrical interference noise that I notice pre the problem with the indicators

today. The car is under warranty, but did not fancy driving down to Caterham. However

I do need to get the indicators sorted as I will have the first service in about 4 wks.

I have checked the fuses and they are ok and there does not seem to be any detached wirers coming from the indicator switch. Any advice would be welcome.

Stephen Ward

Operate the hazard switch several times and make sure it's off . . . the contacts corrode, breaking the circuit reqired for any of the indicators to work. Operating the swtich wipes the contacts across each other and normally cleans them up enough to work again.

Bri

I agree that the hazard switch is the usual suspect, but as this is a sigma engined car it can't be old enough for the contacts to have corroded can it? Worth a try anyway.

The 'electrical interference' noise is a warning buzzer to let you know you are turning the hazards on (Yeah, crap ain't it) If it makes it at any time other than just as you operate the switch then the switch is definitely dodgy.

Another vote for the hazards - I had exactly the same 5 mins before my MoT. Several good wiggles of the hazard switch and the indicators worked again. Managed to duplicate the problem again after the MoT and it's definitely the hazards. New switch is only a few quid so rule that out before spending bigger money on other bits.

New switch is only a few quid

Erm, around £20 - so surprisingly expensive compared to the others....

My car has basically lived outside for the last four years - and (as a commited aeroscreener) got a tad wet. Suffice to say that - despite having issues with the switch - cycling it on and off multiple times always seems to sort the issue.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks for your suggestions Guys. I cleaned the terminals on the hazard switch and Fasher unit and that seemed to do the job *thumbup*.

Less then 300 miles on the clock so not sure why this should happen. Is it worth changing out the Hazard Switch for a well branded product (any suggestions welcome) as it does seem that the switch is suspect on many occations throught out this forum.

Stephen Ward

Edited by - smpward on 4 May 2008 23:09:39