Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil supply issues?

Chris F

Having just fitted a 4-1 exhaust I took the seven out for a drive. Oil pressure is down, oil temp rose very quick and much hotter than usual (reached 100c after mins of 70mph driving - normally takes a long time to get to 80c and never reached 100 before)and theres a tapping noise (sounds like cams running dry). Not done anything else other than fit the new exhaust.

Its a 1996 1.6 K supersport.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Edited by - chris f on 2 May 2008 23:21:21

Chris, you never mentioned the oil system spec i.e. wet or dry sump?

Obviously, simply changing the exhaust system will not influence oil temp/pressure and I assume both are driven by electrical senders? Are they both connected to a single tee-piece or does the pressure sender come off the oil filter housing and the temperature sender come from a dry sump tank or an apollo?

If you are dry sumped it might be worth removing the scavenge pick-up pipe from its connection with the sump. Inside there is a mesh filter with a relatively small area exposed for oil pick up.

Foreign matter here can restrict oil flow and in turn reduce oil pressure. If the oil is not moving around fast enough it will get run warmer.

Tapping noise could be the hydraulic tappets run short of oil

A nasty thought... since lack of oil would tend to be the most likely cause of your ills. You didn't manage to crack you sump during your drive and in turn run short of oil?

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Wet sump with apollo.

Oil level is fine - on the marker with the engine running.

Standard EU2 system (does this mean single t piece? I haven't seen any sender on the apollo *confused*)

Not heard the noise before fitting this exhaust but heard it as soon as I started the car up after fitting it

- so first thoughts were that the manifold wasn't tight enough or exhaust gasket rattling but that doesn't tie in with the oil pressure/temp and is certainly tight.

- Then thought it could be a hydraulic lifter that had got stuck but this would usually get un-stuck after a few blips of the throttle.

- Now I'm thinking a foreign object is blocking pick up (or other mesh in the system - removed the foam when I bought the car) like you say John but where on a wet sump system can this happen and what could have got in? *confused*

Perhaps you have two issues... the rattle could be from the new exhaust i.e. a loose baffle or clip on the heat shield.

If you just had low oil pressure, I would suggest starting off with fitting a new sender, since its just a single item to unscrew from the front of the oil filter housing. However, since you can also link temperature rising to the drop in pressure I guess your stuck with checking for a partial blockage.

Your temperature sender for oil is most likely screwed into the Apollo... with a single spade connector.

I think I'd start off with dropping the sump and checking the oil pick point.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

when did you last drive the car - prior to fitting the exhaust ?.

was it in cooler weather when the water temp and oil temp is difficult to raise ?

Its not unusual for the oil temp on a wet sump K to reach 100 - 120 deg C after a short period on the motorway at medium / high revs.And for the oil pressure then to fall into the red marked zone at idle. The ticking sound of the tappets will be louder with hot thin oil and air within the tappets from aeration of the oil - the same reason that the temperature of the oil rises so high.

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Temp sender is on apollo.

Drove it last weekend in the fine (and reasonable warm) weather. I used the car alot last summer and found that once in a while the oil temp would head towards 90c but never reached this high and certainly took time to get there - I was only on the road for 5 mins and the temp had risen sharply.

Edited by - Chris F on 3 May 2008 10:07:03

How long ago was the drive before fitting the exhaust?

Have you dislodged, or disturbed the temp sender on the apollo?

There should be no link between the exhaust and oil pressure/temperature, so you must have disturbed something. Maybe you have disturbed the pressure sender connection?

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Cagey, I'd agree but for the tapping noise. The noise and the temp/pressure changes make me think that there's something more sinister going on. The sender is on the other side of the apollo so I can't have knocked it when doing the exhaust.

I fitted the exhaust yesterday and drove the car last weekend so its not been long.

Just to update people in case your interested, the noise turned out to be exhaust gasket related. On taking the exhaust off again there were clear signs that it had been blowing from around the gasket. Temporary solution was to use some silicone sealant and noise disappeared. Will order new gasket.

Oil temp is still high (Driving oil pressure down a bit) - heading north of 100c when motorway driving. Checked sender and is reading spot on. Oil level may have been slightly high so have drained some oil off. I will check next time I can start it up whether this causes temp to return to normal (broken connector on the solenoid stopped me last night!). Will also order a new dipstick as mine is an old style with one single notch cut out which doesn't give you any idea of range.

Spark plugs show signs that it may be running slightly lean - white deposits on them so will keep an eye on this.

Thanks for all the help all!

Chris