Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XFlow 1600 - Strange knocking noise from engine since changing Head Gasket- Help ?

Nico506

• Area Representative

Hi All

I am hard of hearing and struggling to diagnose the following problem certainty.

I have a 1600 Xflow  circa 6000 miles and only 800 miles since purchase last may , following coolant issues that includes overheating and loss of coolant , head gasket changed  and at the moment engine running sweet as a sewing machine, no blue or white smoke from exhaust , compressions all at 180 PSI , oil consumption ok , starts and runs fine and goes super quick, timing at 10 deg

Tappets have been adjusted and am told they give a quiet chatter

Since replacing the head gasket a muted non metallic tapping noise is heard in area of cylinders 2& 3 -  some say this is bottom end bearings ( little ends)  - but how can this be when i only changed the head gasket ?

I have had comments such as the head gasket may be misplaced or wrong size to bores causing the pistons to hit the edges of the gasket making the tapping noise as it increases/decreases  with revs .

Any thoughts and experiences as don't really want to pull the engine out unless absolutely sure its bottom end.

Thanks in advance all 

• Area Representative

UPDATE - Thanks everyone for help and replies and retracing the work i have done on the engine , it seems that when the sump was removed to have the sump reduced in depth to clear speed humps, it appears that the oil pipe pipe is being 'kissed ' on rotation by the con rod bolt very slightly and just needs easing gently out of position. The rest of the engine has been checked top and bottom and sounds fine with no other knocks or taps . Im taking the sump off this week and will update all on findings.