16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jamuelson
Upgrading/modding 160

Very recent first Caterham owner here.

After spending months on the fence I finally pulled the trigger over X-mas on a Seven Sprint (based on a 160). The car has spent most of its life being dry stored so I have covered about 300 miles so far ironing out the kinks (and loving every minute of it).

Now considering making some performance upgrades before summer. Wondering if there are any other UK based 160 owners who have made any upgrades? What sought of changes have you made? In my (limited) experience the braking performance seems to be the obvious place to start so considering upgrading the master cylinder, front pads and brake fluid; has anyone already tried this on a 160? What was the outcome?

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

Welcome.

Have you got all of the documentation: Assembly Guide, amendments, wiring diagram and Handbook? Please let me know if you'd like any of those.

Jonathan

7 wonders of th...

I understand the Japanese market chip this engine to around 200 BHP in its original form..... Driving

DougBaker
DougBaker's picture

If you can lock the wheels the brakes are probably ok, as they are not servo assisted you might need to press harder than you are used to.

Then spend the money saved upgrading the scenery around the car by taking it to nice places Smile

1.6K Roadsport SV

Membership Secretary
Membership Secretary's picture

Welcome to the Club!

I built a 160 in 2015 and thoroughly enjoyed touring around in it. Its an excellent car for long trips.

With such a light and nimble car, braking in the wet did take a while. However, I think that this is more to do with the thin profile of the tyres than the pads. I don't know if better tyres are available. However, part of the attraction of the car was the way it moved around at low speed.

At that time an limited slip diff was not available for the 160. However, your supersprint has one and I think that this might really enhance the feel of the car. 

I am sure that you will enjoy it.

Simon

Simon Houghton

Membership Secretary

(Also posts as 700newtons)

Beagler
Beagler's picture

My 270s was uprated to a 310s and I have just fit vented discs, 4 pot calipers and the uprated master cylinder. All brake changes are easy mods.

2019 310S 1.6 Sigma

7 wonders of th...

Big Brakes were created for 24hr endurance racing....... and then the marketing dept saw an opportunity to sell them as an upgrade.... Whistle 

The stock brakes on a Caterham are more than capable, and are significantly lighter then the big brakes.... keeping unsprung weight nice and low.

Beagler
Beagler's picture

When my car goes back on the road I will report back on the whether in my opinion the mod was worthwhile.

2019 310S 1.6 Sigma

SLR No.77
SLR No.77's picture

I ran standard brakes on my last car for 10 years, my current car came with big brakes which I've run for a further 10+ years .... and I concur with 7 Wonders, unless you're doing sustained track use big brakes aren't necessary. Fit an appropriate set of pads and have the car set up properly ideally by someone who knows what they're doing!

My personal opinion with the 160 Sprint is keep it as it is. If you do make changes make sure they're reversible.

Stu.

Caterham and Lotus Seven Club Leadership Team Member

The register for all numbered limited-edition Caterhams ....... www.thecaterhamregister.net ...... www.instagram.com/thecaterhamregister

Beagler
Beagler's picture

Interesting the 4 pot caliper upgrade kit came with a note saying that the 4 pot AP calipers were not suitable for track use. If not they must be designed for road use.

2019 310S 1.6 Sigma

7 wonders of th...

No the kit was designed to increase CC's bottom line.......