Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toyo R888R availability & sizes

gm44

I'm planning on swapping from Avon ZZS to Toyo R888R but am struggling to find them in the right sizes.  My Avons are 215 & 185 55/R13.

I think the equivalent front is a Toyo R888R - 185 / 60 R13 80V which is a medium compound.

Anyone know the size of the rear and where is best to get them?

Thanks Gerard

Given the concern that all Avons will be unavailable soon, I assume many of us will be making this change. To anyone that has actually done it- Did you notice any change in balance going to the narrower rear tire? Where does the Toyo grip fall relative to the ZZS and ZZR? And did you make any ride height /geo changes to compensate for taller sidewalls?

Given the concern that all Avons will be unavailable soon, I assume many of us will be making this change. To anyone that has actually done it- Did you notice any change in balance going to the narrower rear tire? Where does the Toyo grip fall relative to the ZZS and ZZR? And did you make any ride height /geo changes to compensate for taller sidewalls?

• 3 weeks later...

Like many people, I am likely to be making the switch to Toyo R888R's soon (from Avons), however I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find a definitive answer on the correct sizing options for these to suit 8 inch rear and 6 inch front set ups on 13" rims?

Many threads comment on Toyo R888R's only being available in 185/60/13 and 205/60/13 in the same profile, however Toyo and general recommendation says that 205 width is not suitable for 8 inch rims (should ideally be 215 to 235).

Toyo do 225/45/13 which would suit the rears but are obviously lower profile than the front 185/60/13....so would this combination be OK and if so I guess the car would need to be flat floored/suspension set up again?

The easiest option would be just to use the 205 on the rears but Im a bit concerned if these are not technically recommended!

I use my car for road and track days and like the current handling characteristics, so want to be sure I'm switching to the best tyre combination, especially if it means additional suspension set up!

Any advice from anyone that has made this switch,  as I guess this will be something that comes up increasingly as the supply of Avons dry up?

I run 185/60/13 R888Rs al round on 13 x 6" rims.  Thinking of switching the rears to 205/60/13s for a wider tyre, hopefully a little more grip , a longer 1st gear, to correct the speedo which overestimates the speed (satnav reads a lower speed that that on the speedo) and to fill the rear arches a little more.

https://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/proxes-r888r

https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyres/zzs?cartype=motorsport

Demon Tweeks
R888R
185/60 13 @ £108.65 = £217.30
205/60 13 @ £129.83 = £259.66 £476.96
ZZS
185/55 13 @ £168.07 = £336.14
215/55 13 @ £168.07 = £336.14. £672.28

if these were the prices last August, from earlier post, there been quite a hike on prices since. Not surprising I suppose. 

As asked earlier does anyone know what CC plan to do when Avon stop production, if that's their intention? Can the club not ask them? 

I asked CC and they said:

"Thanks for your e-mail. At the moment we are investigating various options, whether all time purchase or alternatives but we would ensure you are covered either way. Regards'

I'm not sure what 'all time purchase' means but they seem positive without giving much info. It does seem to confirm that the Avons will eventually be gone. 

• Leadership Team

BTW Scott, "all time purchase " means that Caterham is seeking to make a final single purchase of as much stock as the supplier will allow, based on their other customer commitments and their planned production runs. 

So after that ..... no more

Rog

JV, it is a 2010 125hp Roadsport (ex-Academy car), my technical knowledge is in sufficient to confirm if driven by a sensor next to a reluctor ring on the offside driveshaft.  If it is easy to recalibrate that would be very helpful as my intention is to have a set of dry/track day tyres and a set of wet weather/touring tyres all on their own rims.  I have been led to believe that it is a good idea to remain on narrower wet weather tyres (6" rims) to avoid aquaplaning which seems logical.

Might be a silly question, but as Avons are still in production for most of this year, why are you all panicking? If you bought Avons now, or anytime in the next 6 months potentially, isn't this only going to be a problem in several months or next year?