Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seized handbrake - 1999 K-series

JP

Hi All

In my quest to get the car running properly again following being in a barn for 10 years, I now find the handbrake mechanism seems to be seized.  I'm assuming a corroded cable.  Does that seem most likely.  If so, is there a common point where they fail / seize that I can get to with some penetrating oil or similar? 

For now I would just like to free it up in the easiest way possible.  Any pointers, please?

Thanks - Jonathan - yes I have an assembly guide and owner's manual, which covers the calipers.  Maybe I missed the handbrake cable part - I'll check again..

SM25T - I think there is an element of both, but I left the handbrake off when it went into storage and now I cannot pull the lever up.  There is a small amount of movement in the lever, so I don't think the lever mechanism is seized.  I'll go over the rear calipers at the weekend, but I'd be grateful for guidance on the handbrake element.

So freed up one side today.  Took the caliper off and went through everything.  The HB cable is not the problem.  The problem was, I think, twofold.  The caliper piston had seized and the rotating plate to which the HB cable attaches on top of the caliper had also seized in the "off" position.  Freed those up and it's now much better. 

But...getting the caliper bolts off took ages.  They were also seized and must have been done up way beyond 35lbft...and the clearance is extremely tight for getting spanners / sockets in.  Need to go on the hunt for some longer ring spanners before I do the other side, I think...