Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 Superlight

Ian Lummis

I had the same questions regarding my diff after i purchased mine,  Martin.Phipps@caterham.com was incredibly helpful as the Caterham archivist. That would be a good start providing its still the original diff.   Im sure there will be some very good technical replies along very shortly to explain how to work out what may be fitted.

• Leadership Team

Clean back any rust and treat if necessary, then flat the area to be painted with a medium grade paper (300) and apply directly to the metal. Don't use straight from the tin or put unused POR back in the tin, it will cause the contents of the tin to set  ... don't ask me how I know!

• Area Representative

#1 - Diff if FORD would more than likely be fitted with a TITAN LSU with carbon plates. BUT knowing the vagaries of CC also could have a QUAIFE ATB.

If BMW Diff then certainly fitted with a TITAN containing carbon plates. *yikes*

Quaife is 'fit & forget' but do check the oil condition or just change as a precaution.

If a TITAN unit then a health check is required: BMW Differential Titan limited slip unit - how to check & protect while in service. | Caterham and Lotus Seven Club (caterhamlotus7.club)

The above health check would cover the FORD diff as well though the FORD TItan seems to have a very low failure rate. Unlike the BMW unit.

Considering the mileage, use of the car on track days & any past Titan servicing (unlikely) then the recommended service requirements of the Titan LSU are: 'Titan recommends that the LSD is serviced every 12 months, race season, or every 10,000 road use miles'. This is a quote from the Titan Express web page.

Ratio is usually engraved on under side of casing. If a Quaife then the name or 'ATB' may be engraved.

Caterham originally used an AP Suretrac diff in the sierra housing. I wasn't aware of them fitting the ATB.

I recall reading an article in lowflying that had pictures taken looking down one of the outputs with a driveshaft removed (obviously). It identified the different makes by what you could see of the diff. Lots of these articles / lowflying backissues are loaded onto the forum - a search should find them.

Just going through some paperwork it looks as my car has a sierra diff with quaife atb.

The bearings and seals were replaced and the quaife was stripped and rebuilt with new Belleville washers in December 2020 by road and race transmissions mileage since then approx 1600 what are these Quaife units like I intend to just use car on the road are these units more reliable than say a Titan unit .

• Area Representative

As stated in #6 Quaife ATB are 'fit & forget' with a high serviceability rate - just oil changes on a regular basis. Every two to three years I would guess dependent on mileage.

BUT Quaif ATB does not have Bellevilles so you must have a Titan fitted ?

Again refer to #6 for links & advice re precautionary servicing.

Thanks for information but on the paperwork from Road and Race transmissions it says rebuild 7" Sierra diff with new. bearings and seals £275.00

Quaife ATB Reset Disasemble ATB and rebuild with new washers £75.00

1litre 80W90 Gl 5 oil 

So am a bit confused. 

• Area Representative

With an ATB watch cocking the rear wheels on track kerbs at high speed. Can cause internal dilemmas if done regularly.

I endorse the TRACSPORT LS unit in place of the 'chocolate fireguard' TITAN. With the TRACSPORT one is not controlled by the necessity to regularly drop the diff every 2-3 years for inspection & overhaul. But one will be well practiced!

Join the club if & when you have to. Might be a tad expensive but longevity is guaranteed.

My TRACSPORT has been installed for two years & just changed the oil. Not too dirty & the mag plug just had running finings on it. Break off torque as when built.

I put a fair few miles on my car in September when I drove to Italy! *driving*

I've just popped into the garage to check & I can confirm that I've covered 15,144 miles since I fitted the Tracsport.

It's still near-silent & very effective! I've changed the oil a couple of times & it comes out completely clean, with a minimal blob of smooth metallic material on the magnetic plug.

I'm very pleased with it.