Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R300 Superlight Air box inlet.

SteveG21

Hi, hoping for some good advice.

I own a Superlight R300 and as was pointed out to me by a club member the air box inlet spout, if I can call it that does not match up to the grill in the side of the bonnet. The inlet spout has a seal which sits up against the inside of the bonnet grill, as they dont match up it is only probably drawing half the air it should. The seal can be easily removed opening up the inlet area, my concern is this would then allow hot air from around the engine to be drawn into the air filter. The seal I assume is a tight fit so that it only draws cooler air from outside of the car. 

Do I take the seal off? Would hot air from the engine significantly affect the engine performance? Has anyone come across this issue, any ideas on manufacturing an angled `spout, to match up to the bonnet grill? Its off by about 30 degrees.

Thanks, Steve.

I wouldn't worry about your hot air point. Many, many caterham's standard and modified Ks, sigmas and Duratec run without that air box and seal configuration and make very good reliable power in the process... cold air is of course better, but that standard vent and air box isn't very effective... many just ditch it and run a cone filter...