Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Not New topic - LED Headlights - under £200?

Andy Lef

Yes there is loads on the website and it is very informative.  Thank you as it has helped in my search for the way ahead.

However, it would be very useful if I had a little more to go on when looking at new lamps under £200 each.  The JAL and Caterham sold ones are good but too expensive for an occasional night blatter.

I have seen the Cafe ones and Car builder ones and wondered if anyone has a few hints and tips for which one to go for?

5 3/4 bowls.......

Thank you.

I just swapped out the halogen bulbs for the LED ones from classic car LEDs and it made a massive difference for minimal price. The extra bright daytime running lights really are good enough to work and you can sometimes mistakenly think you have the headlights on! When I inquired they sent me all the following info to make ordering easy and aligning he headlights was an easy DIY job in the garage. I marked the existing beam angle on the back of my garage door with masking tape and then made sure the new lights were set to the same angle.

If you have 7" headlamp reflectors H4ZES1X2 would be the best upgrade.  They are however to large for the 5 3/4" headlights for which we recommend H4INTX2 which have a similarly powerful beam.

Please make note of the legal position mentioned in the item descriptions for headlights.

For the rest of the lamps our recommended list is as follows:

Front Sidelights - these should be a 501 capless fitting.  Our standard upgrade is at this link and extra bright at this link.

Stop Tail light 380 fitting we have a standard red upgrade or extra bright.

Reverse 382 fitting we recommend the white LEDs at this link.

Rear Fog 382 fitting we recommend the red LEDs at this link or the extra bright option at this link.

Indicators will require an amber 382 which are at this link.  They also need you to change your flasher relay as they do not draw enough current to work with a mechanical relay.  Your relay should have 49, 49a and 31 connections.  The relay at this link is a straight replacement.

If you have a single indicator warning light on the dash, you may also need our diode harness kit which will stop sympathy flash of the external indicator lamps.

Rear Number plate should be a 989 fitting which are available in various colours at this link.

Please note that all the above items are sold as single units and that VAT will be added at checkout. 

As it's a new thread, and in case anyone doesn't know...

There is a new regulation for MoT inspections:

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

I haven't heard of this causing a failure.

Jonathan

So I have fitted the cafe racer 5 3/4 led units in the standard caterham bowls, it's a simple job, watch out the 3 spring clips don't fly away and wear goggles as they are tricky....around 1 hour to do both.

Minor wires to joint for led side-drl, otherwise plug and play.

Mine cost about £104 a pair in February 2021.

More than happy with them, no need to spend more and fully mot compliant.

Lots of 7 owners I know have these fitted .

Message me if you need more information

I have also fitted the cafer racer LED headlights. They are cheap but there is so little definition between dip and main beam you spend more time being flashed by other road users despite them being aligned at my MOT garage. Other users have complained about the same issue. I have reverted back to the standard lights at the moment.

I've heard it suggested that some cheaper lights, although having E marks, aren't actually compliant. Not saying that applies the the cafe racer ones, but you probably get what you pay for. Mind you, the OEM Caterham ones are really expensive, even if bought through JAL with the club discount (as I did). They are however, very good.

Dixa,that's interesting on the issues you have.

When I replaced my lights I never had to adjust them, did a quick test against my garage doors, the beam is flat and so much better both in lumens and beam pattern

I have a set of the cheap ones from ebay - same/similar to the cafe racer ones and I also have a rubbish difference between dipped and main. Also thinking of changing to something else. 

The dipped is good but main is rubbish (just looks like dipped but a bit brighter with no extra distance)

So watching with interest

Wisamic 5.75" LED modules with super bright halo sidelight which is perfect for daylight driving without the need for dipped headlights. Flat top dip beam pattern. Only around £55 each side on eBay

Thank you for all your comments - interesting to hear about the lack of difference between main and dipped on the Cafe lights also that the Halo DRL is better than the letter box option; the latter is a shame as I am not a fan of the Halo option.

Andy

• Leadership Team

Plus one for the Wisamic lights. Easy to install and way better than the candle power of the OE lights. Got mine from Amazon for £111 the pair. At a club night car park test, my halos were brighter than regular dips.

Garry