Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine won't start - 160

Chris and Kate

Is there a simple fix for this issue?

The car is used every week and ran perfectly last time out.

I put the key in the ignition, turned the key and waved the immobilser black tag thing under the dash.

The immobiliser light went out and I pressed the start button.

Nothing but a faint hum.

I have tried unplugging the battery for ten mins to see if that resets anything but no luck. I have also taken off the solenoid/fuse box cover and checked that everything is pushed home into its socket.

Headlights and wipers work fine.

1 Any recent work on it? Has it been drowned?

2 Recycle immobiliser.

3 Check inertia cut-off switch.

4 Measure battery voltage at rest and as you try to crank. (Or failing that try jumping off another battery or vehicle.)

5 Check all relevant connections and earths, including battery, starter, and engine block earth.

Jonathan

PS: Please me know if you'd like an Assembly Guide (with wiring diagram) and Owner's Handbook (with layout of fuses and relays).

The car was driven over 50 miles two days before the fault appeared.

No work on it, not drowned.

The lights work fine so I assume the battery is OK.

I have looked, as much as I can given the very tight spaces, to see if a wire has come off. I've also pushed everything I can reach/feel home.

I suspect it is either the wires to the motor or a fuse/solenoid issue.

Hi, this does sound similar to a problem I had which I believe was down to a sticking relay. I swapped relays around, it started fine but the indicators didn't work! I've replaced all the relays now with new Bosch ones and it's been fine ever since.

Just in case the part numbers for Bosch mini & micro relays I ordered from Arnold Clark parts were as follows:

0986AH0304

Update!

I swapped two of the "bocks" around in the electrics box under the passenger dashboard and it worked!

If anyone else has the same issue there are two big "blocks" in the lower row, above that are six smaller "blocks" in two rows of three..

I swapped the middle two "blocks", upper row to lower row, in that group of six smaller "blocks".

The engine starts immediately.

So now I need to work out if this is just luck or if something is going to cause this to happen again. I probably need to find out what the defective "block" is now wired to.

Thanks for all the help.

• 5 months later...