Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratech/620 - Is this the bolt to fill the gearbox oil?

Phillip Meyer

I would agree with James. GL5 is normally recommended for diffs not boxes. 

Which manual says GL5 and what box is it? I guess if it's a Sadev sequential without synchro you could use GL5 but Mazda appear to recommend GL4 for their boxes if it's one of them. 

Hi,

I assume it is the standard 'Caterham Seven Owner's Handbook', it came with the car (which was manufactured in 2015).

Page 24 reads:

Gearbox oil:

Sigma/ Duratec 5 & 6 SPEED EP75w90 grade / GP5

I was going to buy some at Halfords tomorrow but they only seem to have the above in GP5 so I will have a look somewhere else (I'm based on the SE corner of the M25 in Kent).

Yes, I will definitely try and source GL4, thanks.

Anyone confirm if this is the bolt I use to fill it back up? (Presumably with a long and thin hose).

Also, my manual suggests the gearbox has a 1.9l capactiy. Does this sound correct? (I don't want to over/underfill)

Hi Phillip, the fill plug should be on the side of the box in the tunnel, although it may be different on the sequential. It could also be recessed and difficult to see, requiring a cut-off piece of hex key and a ring spanner to undo it. You only have about 25mm of space to work with between the side of the box and tunnel and it can be a chore to get the fill pipe into the hole. Some cars have a rubber grommet under the tunnel carpet to gain easier access to the fill plug from inside the car.

Filling wise, you fill to the bottom of the hole until the oil just starts to drip out.

AFAIK only the sequential fills from the top with a known quantity of oil - you have to drain first, then fill any oil cooler and pipes, then add the correct volume to the top filler.

The Mazda 5-speed box has the filler on the side, should be the plug that has yellowish markings on it in this picture: https://caterhamparts.co.uk/gearboxes/6027-gearbox-5-speed-mazda-caterham-specification.html

Here is a thread on filling the Mazda 5-speed: https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/techtalk/filling-mazda-5-speed-gearbox