Duratech/620 - Is this the bolt to fill the gearbox oil?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phillip Meyer
Phillip Meyer's picture
Duratech/620 - Is this the bolt to fill the gearbox oil?

...and how on earth do I get to it? 

(For reference, I am giving it a bit of a service and wanted to check the gearbox oil and replace it if necessary)

Phillip Meyer
Phillip Meyer's picture

Also, my manual says gearbox oil ep75w90 GL5 but the little plate on the car says GL4. No idea what the difference is but should I trust the manual or the little plate?

aerobod
aerobod's picture

I would follow the gearbox GL4 plate, as the high sulphur/phosphorous content in most GL5 fluids can risk corrosion damage to bronze synchro rings. Unless the gearbox oil has a specific GL5 requirement, GL4 is the safe choice.

James

ScottR400D

I would agree with James. GL5 is normally recommended for diffs not boxes. 

Which manual says GL5 and what box is it? I guess if it's a Sadev sequential without synchro you could use GL5 but Mazda appear to recommend GL4 for their boxes if it's one of them. 

L7C
Beagler
Beagler's picture

GL4 is better,

https://www.rymax-lubricants.com/updates/the-differences-between-gl-4-and-gl-5/

GL-5 is suitable for hypoid gear service under severe service and shock loads and not for use in a gearbox.

2019 310S 1.6 Sigma

Phillip Meyer
Phillip Meyer's picture

Hi,

I assume it is the standard 'Caterham Seven Owner's Handbook', it came with the car (which was manufactured in 2015).

Page 24 reads:

Gearbox oil:

Sigma/ Duratec 5 & 6 SPEED EP75w90 grade / GP5

I was going to buy some at Halfords tomorrow but they only seem to have the above in GP5 so I will have a look somewhere else (I'm based on the SE corner of the M25 in Kent).

ScottR400D

The point being, as James said earlier, that GL5 shouldn't be used in a synchro box as the additives will attack the yellow metals. 

L7C
Phillip Meyer
Phillip Meyer's picture

Yes, I will definitely try and source GL4, thanks.

Anyone confirm if this is the bolt I use to fill it back up? (Presumably with a long and thin hose).

Also, my manual suggests the gearbox has a 1.9l capactiy. Does this sound correct? (I don't want to over/underfill)

Beagler
Beagler's picture

GL4 Definitely better than GL5 for selector forks an Synchromesh cones. That's Definite.

2019 310S 1.6 Sigma

aerobod
aerobod's picture

Hi Phillip, the fill plug should be on the side of the box in the tunnel, although it may be different on the sequential. It could also be recessed and difficult to see, requiring a cut-off piece of hex key and a ring spanner to undo it. You only have about 25mm of space to work with between the side of the box and tunnel and it can be a chore to get the fill pipe into the hole. Some cars have a rubber grommet under the tunnel carpet to gain easier access to the fill plug from inside the car.

Filling wise, you fill to the bottom of the hole until the oil just starts to drip out.

James

Beagler
Beagler's picture

Maybe better to fit a grommet in the tunnel for better access from inside.

2019 310S 1.6 Sigma