Click here if you are having website access problems ×

360S Ground Clearance Under Sump

alcal

I have a new one of these (S3, 13inch wheels) on order and have noticed a couple of negative posts on here about the ground clearance. Before I look into switching to 15 inch wheels is there an owner who could give me an actual measurement to compare with my current Sigma car?

Thanks

I don't know whether changing the wheels on a 360s will help, but there is definitely an issue with the ground clearance - it may depend where you live and the roads you drive on but I have just taken the corner off the sump on an undulating but smooth road in the Peak District. I wasn't pushing it that hard but have previously had a few 'clatters' elsewhere. Be interested in any other views/experiences/solutions on this

"I don't know whether changing the wheels on a 360s will help, but there is definitely an issue with the ground clearance - it may depend where you live and the roads you drive on but I have just taken the corner off the sump on an undulating but smooth road in the Peak District. I wasn't pushing it that hard but have previously had a few 'clatters' elsewhere. Be interested in any other views/experiences/solutions on this"

What's the clearance, please?

Jonathan

Wet or dry sump? Is the wet sump significantly lower than the dry? If so and the wet sump is the issue then at least there's an easy fix! If not cheap! 

The thing about the wheels is that the tyres should be of different sizes to make the whole assembly have the same rolling diameter whether the wheels are 13/14/15". 

Then the car should be set up according to the recommendation of CC or one of the other respected dealers/service places. 

Many people will vary slightly from the standard ride height I'm sure, but not too much. 

My car is dry sumped and there's a metal tubular 'sump guard' at the back of the sump(!) which has clearly been nudged a few times over the years but nothing serious and I'm not aware of it touching anything out on the highway or track.

Where we meet for our region's Club meets we go through an arch with a step of 2-3" under it. You need to go v slowly as you go down the step or you'll get a touch and that's where I think my 'guard' has been hit. 

I have done 32000+ miles in a 360s SV with 13inch wheels and ZZS all over UK and Ireland plus yearly trips to France and Spain. Sump clearance set at 75-80mm and I can honestly say other than hitting a stone on the road I have never had any issues with ride height and clearance. You do need adjustable shocks to get the set up right.

It just takes one kiss with a piece of road debris, crowned road or cats eye and like many other Duratec owners you'll be left in a pool of oil needing recovery and looking at a fair repair bill too.

At best a new sump and associated fitting, several members have torn the engine mounts and dinged the bonnet too, and a couple ripped the oil pump from the block - scrapping the block.

A sump guarded wet sump has less clearance, due to the guard and merely spreads the impact or transfers it to the chassis depending how its mounted 

DS needs to be high on the spec sheet or upgrade list *thumb_up*

Hmm, some mixed messages. Thanks all. I'd be grateful if someone could provide an actual measurement though as I could compare it with my current car which has 80mm clearance and has never grounded. The new car is a standard S so won't have adjustable spring platforms.

I agree but maybe offset by the benefit of having the corner weights and rake correct, which they aren't without adjustable platforms. For a road car I doubt a bit of extra ride height is noticeable. I have always had my cars on the high side ie 80mm for my K and 85mm for my Sigma with me in the car.

• Area Representative

Hi Al,

I have a 270S SC that came on 15" rims, I have changed to 13" with 185/60 ZZS front and 215/55 on the rear.

Although the rear tyres are near the same size as the 195/55 15's the fronts are smaller and dropped the front ride height by 30mm.  They are also 2.5Kg lighter

I don't have adjustable platforms being an S model but they are on the shopping list.

The 15" rims and low profile tyres make the car nervous and twitchy unless your on a billiard table smooth surface. I'd suggest you try a car on 15 inch rims first.

I have lowered floors too and have spent the weekend on the F&C run reducing the seat bolts.

Personally I'd choose 13" and adjustable platforms but that might not get you enough.

DerekH

#23 I think the 'sport suspension pack' option would give you the adjustable platform suspension and judging by the price wide track too. Might be worth asking Caterham if they can just fit the adjustable platforms which should be much less - assuming you aren't bothered about wide track.