Click here if you are having website access problems ×

[SOLVED] 310 cam cover gasket leaking

GulfSeven

Hi All,

I've noticed a small oil weep between the cam cover and the head at the front the engine on the exhaust side of my 2020 310R. Torquing the bolts to 10Nm improved it a bit, but I don't want to overtighten them.

How easy is it to change the cam cover gasket? Is it just a case of detaching the breather and electrical connections, unbolting, fitting the gasket into the cam cover and putting it back together?

Is this the one for the 310? https://caterhamparts.co.uk/other/6736-cam-cover-gasket-sigma-ta-engine.html

I'm assuming there's no issue doing a track day in a week if I can't get it changed beforehand?

Ta.

It is easy but.....It is a rubber seal that fits in a groove in the cover, not a gasket. If it is not damaged it doesn`t need replacing.

Where the cover fits over the cam bearing caps it needs a bit of sealant in the corners...that is probably what is leaking.

So...whip it off.....1/2 hr.      Clean it up and check for nicks/ damage.    Put sealant over bearing caps.    Refit cover   1hr.total.

I use Hylomar but any `gasket goo` will do (not much required).  Just a wipe over with a cloth....a drop of petrol helps but we are not allowed to do that these days *judge*  Make sure the seal remains in its groove and is not trapped/pinched when refitting it.

I'm actually going to get Williams to look at it as it's only done 3,700 miles, and whilst it is out of warranty, it does still have the little tamper-proof Caterham tag wired through the cam cover and timing belt cover bolts on the intake side at the front showing that it's still factory sealed. I'd have hoped that after modifying the engine to 310 spec at the factory, Caterham could have fitted the cam cover so it didn't leak after such a short amount of miles/time.

• 1 month later...
  • Area Representative

Nice that you got it done under warranty.  

My 2020 Sigma Ti-VCT cam cover gasket also failed, spraying oil mist over the exhaust.

Replacement gasket sourced from Burton Power.  Think the one Caterham list is for the non-VCT engine.

They are different. VCT head does not have the sharp corners and does not need sealant.

Engine seal went in the bin. Torque and sequence below for reference.

.Ti-VCTcamcover.png.a2810669732e8f45b92a04200ce43536.png

DerekH