Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1990 BDR MOT fail

Nigel Blandin

Evening all,

My BDR had it's MOT today and failed, quite comprehensively, on emissions.

The tester used the analyser and 1990 levels, but checking back can I appeal this as;

Kit or amateur built cars used before 1998 must be inspected , for emissions alone, as "Registered before jan 1975"

The test for cars built pre 1975 is a visual assessment of exhaust smoke only.

I have the build sheet and sales invoice from Martin Phipps showing is was supplied as a component car in April 1990.

Does that sound like a valid argument?

• Support Team

Yes you are correct and the MOT tester should know it - but most don't. I took to printing off the relevant section from the on-line MOT manual and showing the tester. I've had a few testers insist on doing the basic emissions test which my car miraculously passed!

• Support Team

On line MOT manual

Emissions testing

You must inspect vehicles with spark ignition engines first used on or after 1 August 1975.

You do not need to check:

• L category vehicles
  • hybrid vehicles - with electric and combustion engines
  • hydrogen fuel cell vehicles
  • two-stroke engines - unless they are subject to a catalyst test

If an engine has been modified in any way, it still must meet the exhaust emission requirements according to the age of the vehicle.

For emissions purposes only you should treat the following as first used before 1 August 1975:

• kit cars and amateur-built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998
  • Wankel rotary-engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987
  • Q plated vehicles

• Area Representative

Nigel, where are you based now? 

If near north London, take it to G & M Reed Motors Ltd
46, St. Albans Road, Barnet, EN5 4LA
Tel: 0208 449 7100

This is where Rob Morley, who you know well, takes Sevens.  I have used them for about 20 years.

This is the intro section to the document referred to at #5:

"CATERHAM CARS
The VIN Code consists of the 6th letter of the VIN, then engine code is the 8th and 9th digit. Where the 6th digit is 'C'
or 'K' and the 10th digit (year code) letter W or before the vehicle concerned should be considered as 'amateur built'
and as such should receive a visual smoke test only. Note that '?' can be any figure."

Mine is 1999 registered, but my relevant VIN letters are K and W.  I'll report back after my MoT once the rebuild is finished...

mine was a factory built 1999 car which no has a different engine so according to the regs should be tested to the standards of the engine originally fitted - which is actually slightly more lenient than the normal cat test limits.

All new test stations and those installing new equipment are linked directly to DVLA and once the reg is inputted it directs the tester to the correct test limits

Wow! Thanks all. 
to answer a few points raised:

Thanks Shaun, that's the section I am using, I'm on the right track.

Seven Wonders and JP, thanks but mine predates that. Vin is an old style on 5LC 5181 HPRD, so not enough numbers. 

Jonathan, July 4th 1990

Stephen, good idea, I'll give Rob a shout.

7 wonders, as a Jersey car it isn't on th3 list so doesn't show up.

I have my data and details and will go back in the morning. Report back soon.

Wow! Thanks all. 
to answer a few points raised:

Thanks Shaun, that's the section I am using, I'm on the right track.

Seven Wonders and JP, thanks but mine predates that. Vin is an old style on 5LC 5181 HPRD, so not enough numbers. 

Jonathan, July 4th 1990

Stephen, good idea, I'll give Rob a shout.

7 wonders, as a Jersey car it isn't on th3 list so doesn't show up.

I have my data and details and will go back in the morning. Report back soon.

'5LC' would normally indicates a factory built car - kit built / component cars normally have a K as the first character. Maybe the original purchaser took it as CKD to avoid Caterhams build queue! Without additional evidence of amateur build (eg notes on registration doc) then testing as a 1990 car would seem right. Hopefully the paperwork will resolve things but might be worth seeing if DVLC will add a note re amateur build on the V5 for the future.

These documents aren't great, the VIN is altered on the invoice and the word Component looks corrected on the build sheet.  It looks fishy.  Have you got the amateur build confirmation certificate.  If no I think I would ask Caterham for a letter on headed paper.  Good luck. 

If you didn't know Caterham in 1990....it was a bit sketchy to say the least! I have asked Martin to help.

I suspect the customer got bumped up the list by knowing someone. HPC's weren't supposed to be sold either CKD or without the driving course...unless you convinced them to sell you one!

Interesting little project though.