Click here if you are having website access problems ×

185/60 R14 Tyre Choice

cjn_uk

Hi,

This is my first post....so be gentle with me!

I bought my 2007 Roadsport 125 a couple of years ago. It is fitted with Avon ZV3's 185/60 R14. The car has only done 7000 miles so the tyres have good tread left and has been garaged so no UV damage....i've been checking all tyres and they are still in good condition.....however I was recently enlightened that tyres have a manufacturing date stamp and realised mine are original fitment circa 15 years old.....time to change them i think!!

I've done extensive searches in the forum looking for the right tyre to choose and have narrowed it down but I have a few remaining questions before I take the plunge if anyone has any views/information i'd be interested.

I am a fair weather driver so I wouldn't intentionally be out in the wet. The car is road use only at the moment so no track considerations right now. So here are my options and my questions.

Uniroyal Rain Expert 3 - this seems to be the touring tyre of choice in the forum. I'd be happy to go with the majority but i keep asking myself is there a better option at the price point for mainly dry driving?

Uniroyal Rain Expert 5 - fairly new tyre to replace the Expert 3 however i can't find any mention of this tyre in the forum. Has anyone got any experience of it yet? It is clearly a different tread pattern to the Expert 3 but i've no idea how to find any useful information about stiffness or compound....it might have got worse in the industry hunt for better efficiency and lower rolling resistance?!?!

Nankang NS-2R - this seems to fit the bill for my mainly dry driving but i'm worried the XL rating and weight might be an issue for road comfort....can anything be worse than 'wooden' ZV3's though?

Bridgestone Turanza T005 - this is my left field option. No mention on this forum but it broadly gets good reviews elsewhere (i've seen MX5 reviews and also it came top in 2019 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 185/65 R15 on a Polo....clearly not a performance car but relatively light for a modern car). Is this worth a shot over the Uniroyals given I can get it for the same price?

Personally I've discounted the following tyres but my mind could be changed if anyone can convince me...

Toyo R888R - too track day focussed and twice the price

Avon ZT7 - although this is the current tyre fitted by Caterham in this size I can't find anything else that would constitute a recommendation?

All other Michelin, Goodyear, Continentals in the size - opinion seems to be these will be aimed at heavier modern cars and more expensive than the Uniroyals.

Thanks in advance. Chris

I just ordered a set of NS-2R's in that size. I had a set on my old MK1 MX5 and absolutely loved them. That car was my daily driver, though I did have winter tyres as I lived in Scotland. Definitely a bit noisier than other tyres but the wind noise is louder at high speeds anyway. As for the XL rating I can't say as they haven't been fitted on my caterham yet, but the stiffer sidewalls should give better steering precision despite the increased harshness. 

I've done about 400 miles on NS2Rs including one trip in near monsoon conditions. In my opinion they compare favourably with the AO21Rs I'd used for 25 years. No - not the same set for 25 years. 

When I was looking for alternatives Rainexpert 5s weren't available for 14 inch wheels. 

Hi,

I've got a 2010 RoadSport 150 on 14" wheels, can I first say I'm impressed that you've still got the ZV3s on, the most terrifying drive I did was in the damp on 12 year old ZV3s when my wheels were replaced after an off a few years ago, hard and shiny doesn't describe them, it was like Bambi on ice!

Like many I expect I first used A021s after taking off the first set of ZV3s until they lost their certification, these were great and transformed the handling albeit they were a bit short lasting. Since then I've run Rain Expert 3s on the 7, Initially I was a little wary of them when they still had the full 8mm tyre blocks and weren't as good as the excellent A021s but as they have worn in I've found the handling to be almost as good as the A021s especially when the blocks got to about 5mm. I should add I only drive on road, mainly the Beacons, we often get damp down here. They have lasted since 2016 doing about 3k miles a season.

I've also used the Rain Expert 3 and 5 on my MX5 NC3.5, another car that is very fussy over its tyres. It doesn't have as much power to weight as the 7 or as light but differences between tyres are noticeable, a set of Marshal things being a particular low point. Both the RE 3 and 5 were excellent on this with no noticeable differences between them. Would happily put a set of RE 5 on the 7 when the current set wear out.

Best wishes

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

I am following this tread with interest as I will need to replace my 14" A-021R tyres soon and have the same dilemma. I was considering the Uniroyal Rain Expert 3 or 5 but would like to add another couple of options and wondered if anyone had any experience. Firstly, the Toyo Proxes CF2, about the same price point as the Uniroyal, but currently on offer at Demon Tweeks and sound good. Secondly, Yokohama BlueEarth ES32, could these be similar in nature to the A-021? Also interested in any real life experience with Avon ZT7. 

FYI - I also normally drive on dry roads, but have driven in wet and found the A-021s not that great, but they are worn near the limit.

many thanks

Richard

Choose tyres that have been proven to work on a lightweight car such as the 7, rather than a tyre that maybe is little cheaper but are made essentially for tin tops weighing over a ton and consequently have quite stiff sidewalls. 

From my research so far, Rain Expert 3 possibly better than RE5, seems to still be available from some dealers but probably being phased out? Mixed reviews on Nankang NSR2s, some people complaining they wear very quick. Toyo R888R consistently good reviews but at a price. 

Not found anything useful about the Avon ZT7, is that because they are quite new? Anyone?

I really enjoyed the Uniroyal Rainsport (60 profile) but they don't have anywhere near the grip of a track day tyre like R888R. They have a soft sidewall so give a nice supple ride even with a higher pressure which they need. 

On my crossflow I purposely put some 185/70/13s Rainexperts on, not after ultimate grip and haven't been disappointed so far, been playing with tyre pressures and settled on 21.

I have another 7 and run that on either R888rs and ZZS, I prefer the Toyos, to the ZZS for me there's more feel.