Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1700 Super Sprint Compressions

Temple Cloud

Firstly, are you doing the compression test with a warm engine, the throttle held fully open and the ignition disconnected? That is the correct way to do it.

15psi is about the variation you can accept, so yes, four is too low. Before you do anything, take the plugs out and squirt a little engine oil into each cylinder, crank it over and try the test again. If no. 4 has improved significantly, it is more likely to be rings than valves. Ideally you should also use a leakage tester which will not only give you a reading, but you will also be able to hear if the leakage is coming out of the crankcase breather, the inlet manifold, or the exhaust, thus identifying the source of the leak for certain.

Thanks. It's certainly leaking from the inlet valve and we were using a leakage tester. I did this with someone who supposedly knows what he's doing but I just wanted to get someone like you who also knows what they're doing to give me a second opinion about what needs to be done and how urgent it is. The guy who did the test and who was in a garage obviously has a vested interest in getting work for himself lol

If you have the head off it would be madness not to fit unleaded exhaust seats at the same time. I can't give you a price since I stopped building engine twenty years ago, but it shouldn't be a huge expense. Just make sure the job is done by someone who knows what they are doing.