Rear bearings excessive play - 310R

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
JonPivo
JonPivo's picture

My car is a 2019 310R so definitely has the new bearings.

When I say both bearings I mean both the Off and near sides of car, ie both rear wheels/hubs.  

I haven't touched the hub nuts since the build and I torqued them correctly and I specifically asked them to be checked at the post build check.  Car has been through two services at caterham dealers since then and I would assume (probably wrongly that they would have checked for play in the bearings then).

I have stripped back the near side and there is a lot of movement in the bearing.

I will look at the other side later but suspect it will be the same. 

Does this seem like a defect in the parts or is it something I could have done wrong during in the build?

Note, I live near Stirling in Scotland and the nearest dealer is Oakmere so I don't have easy access to any input from caterham. 

Cheers,

Jon

Jon

Geoff Brown
Geoff Brown's picture

JonPivo #22 - Hardly unlikely that you assembled both sides incorrectly. There is only one way to fit the hubs with the 'flat' at the bottom.

As you say the hub nuts were torqued correctly on build & specifically at the PBC.

Do the drive shafts show any form of stress where they contact the bearings? If not I would suspect some sort of failure of the bearings within the hub.

I presume the car is now out of warranty so the only way forward is to replace all suspect parts though it may be worth approaching Caterham allowing them to inspect the bearings & hubs for comment. You may then get some form of goodwill offer considering the age & mileage of the car. But do not hold your breath.

JonPivo
JonPivo's picture

Thanks Geoff, that's useful. Yep out of warranty now so not expecting much from Caterham though I will try.

Here are a couple of pictures of the drive shaft. I don't really know what I am looking for in terms of excessive wear here, so any thoughts welcome!  

Jon

Geoff Brown
Geoff Brown's picture

JonPivo #24 - Without inspecting personally the pic of the drive shaft bearing surface suggests overheating due to possible excessive slip between the inner bearing race & shaft. This action in turn could overheat the bearing causing a partial internal failure.

The drive shaft appears to have a chunk out of the spline ? This could have been caused due to excessive deflection & fretting during rotation. 

IMO ultimately the problem is caused by poor working tolerances between all the moving parts - hub, bearing, carrier (bolted to disc) & shaft. Add rotational forces then it is quite a brew for fretting, wear & failure. 

Only way out is (a) fall on Caterham's goodwill & generosity ! If that fails then (b) everything effected is best changed. ££££ !

I must comment that the apparent degradation of all surfaces is surprising considering the age & mileage of the components. When I disassembled the back end of my car for the diff job at year 8.5 & 22,000 miles all the components once cleaned were in good condition. All they required was a smear of grease on assembly.

I just hope my 'fit & forget' 2016> bearing upgrade lasts longer.......

ScottR400D

They don't look too good after such a short time and mileage. Very odd. 

What is the discolouration?  From heat or is there something on the shaft? The splines also look quite worn and corroded for such a young car. How tight were the bearings on the shafts? 

I was thinking of changing to this new bearing but not so sure now! Is this the only example of an issue that we've seen? 

L7C
Beagler
Beagler's picture

Looks like caused by heat. What do the brake discs look like.

2019 310S 1.6 Sigma

David_Long
David_Long's picture

For what it's worth, my thoughts are the pictures indicate a bearing failure rather than a driveshaft problem. It could be through ingress of water as the corrosion on the splines and threads is not what you'd expect on a Caterham of this age. The staining could be overheating, or it could be rust, or even a bit of both - it needs closer examination to be sure.  I would suggest it has had a history of being run under torqued at some stage that this has stressed/worn the bearings an allowed seepage of moisture (water from rain or washing) to ingress the splines around the driveshaft and bearing. 

Edit to add there is some evidence in the picture to suggest polishing of the bearing which may indicate movement (under torqued).

ChrisC

From my personal experience I am not expecting the driveshaft / bearing to be reusable if I need to dismantle them.  My Oct 2019 kit (2020 registered) has been through two driveshafts and rear bearings sets.  Fretting caused damage to the inner race, and the driveshaft surface.  Both sides showed the same damage, and it was worse over time / distance travelled.  My driveshaft where replaced at different times so I it was possible to observe.  I now recommend SKF anti fretting paste during assembly, which I applied to one of the driveshafts, only time will tell if it saves the driveshaft / bearing.

JonPivo
JonPivo's picture

Brake discs are fine. 

Jon

7 wonders of th...

what does the inner bearing feel like when rotated by hand - any noticeable variation inner to outer...?

any signs of discolouration on the inner race of the inner bearing, there appears no signs fretting on the shaft just a light polished witness

did you check the torque prior to stripping down..?