R400D: Curious misfire

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
aerobod
aerobod's picture

I think the best one to use for the crank is actually inferred in the cam panels - "Measured Cam 1 Phase" which shows the phase difference between the cam and crank signals, so a loss of crank or cam signal should give an erratic output of this value.

James

John Vine
John Vine's picture

I must be dense but I can't find that one either.  I have:

Cam Signal Level
Cam Signal Status
Lower Cam Window
Upper Cam Window.

This is on Easimap 6 vR76

JV

aerobod
aerobod's picture

Hi John, I'm also on R76. It looks as though the extra functionality for the crank signal is only available on the 9A4 ECU (which is set as my default), unfortunately when I selected the latest 992 ECU software (992ac80b), I only see the options you have listed.

James

John Vine
John Vine's picture

Thanks, James.  That would explain it

JV.

John Vine
John Vine's picture

An update....

So far, I've  checked loom connectors, TPS connector, TPS operation (via Easimap), ECU connector and earth, crank sensor connector and wiring, lambda wiring.  Nothing untoward.  #1 COP connector was a little dirty but at worst that would only cause an intermittent misfire.

This afternoon, I did a 50-min Easimap in-flight logging session (beautiful 7 weather), with a 10-min stop after 20 mins or so.  The car behaved impeccably both before and after the stop.  Unfortunately, I somehow managed to screw up the logging as there was practically nothing in the log, so I'll need to repeat it.

JV

aerobod
aerobod's picture

Hi John, the main thing with Easimap logging is not to move off the page with the panels you want to log before you have saved to a file, any page up or down will effectively purge the stored info and start the logging over on the current page.

Also check your "PC Logging Setup" is set to "Automatic - Log the parameters on the current page"

James

John Vine
John Vine's picture

Thanks for the tips, James.

I'd definitely set logging to "auto".  I think I must have moved from the initial page somehow. 

JV 

John Vine
John Vine's picture

Re #20:

As long as Easimap is left running on the laptop on the same page while the engine is off, it will resume logging when the ECU is powered up again, you will see the power cycling as events in the log.

Just a quick question, James.  Does that still apply if the laptop drops into sleep mode, with a Windows screensaver showing?  I ask as I noticed it had done so as I set off from my stop.  For info, I'm using an ancient Dell Inspiron under Vista for this.

JV

aerobod
aerobod's picture

Hi John, if the screen goes into screen saver, no problem, but if the PC suspends/sleeps, that would be a problem as the communication to the USB interface will also stop, it needs to stay active with the Easimap software. The ECU can be shutdown or fully powered off then powered on again without affecting Easimap or the interface, though.

I've used a standalone battery inverter in the passenger footwell in the past to power a laptop with a dodgy battery, but you want to ensure you don't use an inverter plugged into the Caterham 12V socket, as you could end up with a ground loop and potentially damage the Easimap interface, PC or ECU.

James

John Vine
John Vine's picture

Thanks, James. Helpful as always!

JV