WightBlat 2023: April 21-24

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Q Catcher

Just managed to get through on the phone (Tuesday morning).  Asked for the Caterham 7 Weekend.  Was quoted £618 for Standard Chalet.  What the ..?

When I quoted the prices above, I was told there are discounts for group bookings.  Eh?  There was none of this last year.  I kinda feel they're trying to take advantage here.

DerekH
DerekH's picture

I agree, It's a lot more expensive this year. I could not get those prices booking online which is what I did last year

It could be the weekend event being "Motown" or just being two weeks later.

Sweetened with voucher code HELLOWARNER that gets you £50 off.

Derek

SiCrad
SiCrad's picture

OK, so there is obviously a problem at their end as we have been given a group rate so Alex is going to head over there this morning to get this sorted out.

We have spoken to 4 different people there over the past 10 days so it is possibly a breakdown in communication on their side and not all are perhaps aware that this is a group function (I assume you quoted the Caterham 7 note at them?).  

As for the £488 versus £588, there is no mistake in what I wrote, we did question that too but it's the number we were given: I always double check numbers before I post the note for WightBlat because I recognise how quickly incorrect values can spiral out of control.

Alex will come back to me later and I will post his update. It may be of course that he uses this opportunity to actually pay his subs and rejoin (wonders will never cease...)

Watch this space.

Simon

Stuck between the Devil and the blue skies yonder

SiCrad
SiCrad's picture

An update: Alex has been to Norton Grange.

The weekend we are booking has, as you know, a Motown theme. What this means is that the entertainment for the duration of the weekend will be Motown-related and, crucially, from a quality point of view, not the in-house entertainment that we experienced last year!

However, the team that Alex has spoken with this morning has emphasised two things. One is that the prices this year are more than last (as with everything at the moment) because of the general increase in costs - I can only imagine their gas and electricity bill. The second is that we are subject to their systems and they have a corporate policy of changing price based on demand. So you will end up with a price quoted on the day that you call for whichever chalet type you want. I have therefore, removed the originally quoted pricing from the first post since it's obviously not 'fixed' at that rate.

The sooner you make your booking the better as they increase prices in line with reduced space.

While they are expecting us as a group because we are booking (and paying) individually we don't appear to benefit greatly. If you can book a couple of chalets (someone from here yesterday booked three in one go) then you do get a small discount. Obviously there is the voucher code quoted above - although I don't know whether that will work for all, it's worth a try.

Sorry for this, it's not how we would do it if we were back in one of the hotels - or indeed at Whitecliff bay when Alex and I used to maintain spreadsheet after spreadsheet on who was coming, which ferry and so on - but we are where we are. We chose this weekend to avoid conflict with other events such as Goodwood Members' meetings and therefore we are a bit restricted on timing.

Alex reiterated that he is looking forward to seeing you all. I do so love being his mouthpiece on here...

Simon

Stuck between the Devil and the blue skies yonder

Golf Juliet Tango

a Motown theme

I look forward to seeing your Mary Wells impression Simon!  (singing "My Car" obviously)

Or: Martha Reeves "Nowhere to drive to"

Or: You and Alex dueting as Marvin & Kim Weston singing "It seats two"

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

Ray Pearce

Tried to book this morning and they wouldn't allow it, telling us to speak to Alex.

What on earth is going on?

Peter G

I booked us in on Monday. And had to pay the higher price. They would offer a group discount if I booked more than one room. 

Ray Pearce

Current price is now 658 for a standard

Going up £50 a day! 

Stotty

Showing me £458 at the moment for one person, it is just that weekend that is more than double most weekends in April (but as you say no clash with Goodwood and such). The entertainment must be special that weekend.

nic.day
nic.day's picture

We got the quoted figures when Tracey booked on Tuesday - we even got the premier room at the £488 figure

I guess it helped when calling - and more importantly the person you speak too - apparently the ladt that Tracey spoke to knew of the group.

Having said that - looking forward to a drink, a drive, a Motown dance and seeing you all.

No idea what to write here??!!!