Now what? Brexit content, you don't have to click this

2755 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tony Whitley
Tony Whitley's picture

DougBaker
DougBaker's picture

That is a bit negative Tony, Brexit could well destroy the Conservative party. So not all bad Wink

1.6K Roadsport SV

Golf Juliet Tango

Doug, the power of vested interests is powerful.

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

Golf Juliet Tango

Stephen

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

You know what guys, to use that awful modern 'ism, it is what it is! Right or wrong, the vote was 'leave' and now we must live with the consequences. No amount of empirical finger pointing is going to change the result or where we find ourselves now, as a consequence.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth may make some who voted to stay feel better, but harbouring this never-ending resentment is not going to change things and ultimately just eats you up. To quote the eloquence of one Sam Elliot (in Roadhouse) "It seems to me, you'd be a little more -- philosophical about it -- and cut it the f*** loose"! Biglaugh

Certainly, the biggest mistake we can make is not to learn from our mistakes.

What I would be far more enthusiastic about is to hear how we might move forward from this clusterf*ck. Is dumping the Tories the way to go with the current alternatives? I'd love to hear arguments for and against this. Personally I wouldn't trust the 'other' lot to sit the right way round on a toilet seat, but I'm open to persuasion. We have to work with what we've got, which I admit, ain't much!

Golf Juliet Tango

Steve, an important part of assessing a decision is a thorough review of the consequences and an important part of learning from mistakes is to acknowledge them.

Stephen

DougBaker
DougBaker's picture

Yesterdays by election results make it likely that the next election will be a draw.

Allowing politicians to "win" has been terrible for this country. We need to move to a system where no one party/group ever again gets to do exactly what they want without having to first convince someone who does not owe their future to them it is a good idea.

As Blair discovered it is the people who once supported you that hold the worst grudges once they decide they had been lied to.

1.6K Roadsport SV

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

Stephen, as I said, learn by our mistakes and of course acknowledge them, but dragging out the pain & resentment for 6 years achieves nothing. The endless jibes and the "see, see what you've done!" does nothing to promote the healing process. It's just like continually picking at a scab, it never heals!

Surely we can be more constructive than that?

Tony Whitley
Tony Whitley's picture

ACFowles
ACFowles's picture

Agreed Harry, lets learn from the huge mistake and be constructive.

Step 1 - immediately join the EFTA