East Kent Club Visit to The Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge on August 14th 2022

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
East Kent AR
East Kent AR's picture
East Kent Club Visit to The Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge on August 14th 2022

The East Kent Area Caterham & Lotus Seven Club have arranged to visit the Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge on Sunday, the 14th of August 2022.

The Museum opens at 10:00 am and closes at 4:00 PM.

As there was considerable interest from other club areas when I first looked into this, everybody is welcome to join us at Hawkinge. So if you expressed interest, please contact me.

Please note that no Cameras or Mobile phones can be taken into the Museum and they can be left with reception and reclaimed with a ticket.

Please view the Museum web site at: kbobm.org for details and their terms and conditions of entry.

The address is: Kent Battle of Britain Museum Hawkinge, Aerodrome Road, Hawkinge

Folkestone, Kent, CT18 7AG

Below is the email from the Chairman of the Museum:

Thank you very much for your email. As you have seen mobile phones, cameras and large bags (handbags are fine) are not allowed in the Museum, so please ask your members to leave these securely in their vehicles or alternatively we can provide a receipt and keep them safely at reception. When the party is ready to leave, speak to a volunteer, collect a camera or mobile phone, and the volunteer will happily arrange for photographs to be taken with the 'Spirit of The Few' Monument, the three Gate Guardian Hurricanes, the Heinkel He 111H-16 and Bristol Blenheim Mk. IV in the Museum Grounds. They will guide you over the ropes so you can get up close to these external exhibits and if you wish, take the photos on your devices so everyone form the Club can be in the pictures.

Please let me know if you would like to attend this Club visit to the museum, so I can estimate the number of Sevens that will attend. 

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Piers Rendell

East Kent AR

eastkent@lotus7.club

East Kent AR
East Kent AR's picture

If this visit to The Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge on the 14th August is of interest to you, please let me know.

Piers

Piers Rendell
East Kent AR
eastkent@caterhamlotus7.club

Nick Bassett
Nick Bassett's picture

Would love to attend this, but am away that time.

I've always been captivated by the 1940 pics of Spitfires parked up at at RAF Hawkinge taken from Gibraltar Lane as seen in the Battle Of Britain Book - Then and Now. Must visit there one day - such a shame it's been built on now - as many airfields have been.

Some great footage of Hawkinge in the Battle of Britain movie - takka, takka, takka!

Bolter, bolter, full power...

Superlight R # 81

Instagram: superlight_r_81

Hammerhills

Hi Piers I would be very interested in this as mentioned before many thanks for organising this event 

East Kent AR
East Kent AR's picture

After our successful visit to The Battle of Britain Memorial last Sunday, our next club visit is to The Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge on August 14th. If you're interested in attending, please let me know. Everyone is welcome.

Piers

Piers Rendell
East Kent AR

nobutyeahbut
nobutyeahbut's picture

Thank you again Piers for arranging the recent visit to the BoB Memorial - an excellent day - it looks like we'll have a handful of Mid Sussex members (including me) wanting to join you on the 14th August. I will update you on numbers nearer the time.

East Kent AR
East Kent AR's picture

Hopefully by August 14th, all the problems with the M20, Dover and The Rail Tunnel  will be well behind us. 

So looking forward to seeing everyone at The Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge on the 14th. 

Piers

Piers Rendell
East Kent AR

Hammerhills

Hi Piers count me in for next Sunday I'll put it out to the other Essex 7s to see who else is interested in this trip 

East Kent AR
East Kent AR's picture

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday. The weather may be just a touch on the hot side.

Piers

Piers Rendell
East Kent AR

SM25T
SM25T's picture

Sorry, can't join you this Sunday. ... work trip back to Northumberland. Will endeavour to visit the museum soon.