1073 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seabea23
Seabea23's picture

Trauma Zone on the BBC I player. A haunting collection of short films of the collapse of the Soviet Union gathered by BBC film crews over the last 30 years or so. A very informative sub titled narrative adds to the mood. Essential viewing if one is at all interested in contemporary history and the mess that has fueled the disaster of Ukraine.

Golf Juliet Tango

I indulged myself yesterday and went to the matinee showing (I had a Club Zoom meeting, so going to the evening showing wasn't an option.

I went to "The Swimmers" which was great, A retelling of the escape from the Syrian civil war and subsequently participating in the Olympics.  An interesting tale, which shows something of several sides of the exodus from that troubled country.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81365134

Recommended - obviously it is always better to see films on a big screen but for those of you with a Netflix account it is available there.

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

wild bill
wild bill's picture

Good little film that. Well told

john aston
john aston's picture

Empire of the Sun -   a tale of a Margate cinema in the 80s. A woman with a history of  mental issues is the deputy manager  and forms a relationship with her young new colleague . He is black , with a taste for two tone music (clunky metaphor alert) and falls victim to racism . It is now the law that Olivia Colman , Colin Firth and Toby Jones appear in every British film, but even they can't lift Sam Mendes' dud script. Looks utterly gorgeous though . 

Tar - this is the film which will see Cate Blanchett stagger under the weight of awards.She plays an abrasive , scheming and talented conductor for the Berlin Philharmonic who betrays  her (female ) lovers and is a very nasty piece of work. Slow paced and nearly three hours, this isn't everybody's idea of a good watch . I thought it was wonderful but God above I wish my hearing was more acute as I struggled to hear all the (intimate , sometimes whispered dialogue ) - I should  have gone on an old farts subtitle day.     

Traumazone - #1062 - you are so bloody right . I learned more about recent Russian history from the series than anything I have ever seen, heard or read. I cannot recommend this too highly . It horrifies, appalls , fascinates and even amuses - and tells you all you need to know about why Putin exists . DO watch this 

Golf Juliet Tango

My sister and I went to Lady Chatterley's Lover this evening.

Lots of positive comments from us and a few negatives, in particular some nuance in English etiquette (probably due to having a French production team.

Picky little bits which grate but a stunningly sensuous film.  I remember such intense feelings in my youth, now sadly a long time ago.

I must read the book, I'll ask the servants if they have a copy.

Stephen

Golf Juliet Tango

Tar is a film I do want to see, I'll have to hope it returns in March as I will miss the showings in February.

Stephen

wild bill
wild bill's picture

Must watch Traumazone.

I watched Narvik last night mainly because my father was there and i was interested to see what they made of it. It's a nicely shot film if a bit dull. Tells the story well enough from a historical context. My father's platoon arrived in Narvik in April 1940 armed with one Lee Enfield rifle and one cartridge of 5 rounds plus a lewis gun mounted on the back of a Bedford truck. 

The film portrays it as Hitlers first defeat which was new to me as my father always talked of it as a defeat for us.

As an aside i'd forgotten that the polish army were there. I remember my father saying that on the way back to Britain on the troopship a Pole had a sack and was charging people to look inside in which there was a German soldiers head complete with helmet and chin strap.

Blue7
Blue7's picture

Traumazone and Swimmers both look very interesting so I must take a look. 

I remember Lady Chatterley, published by Penguin Books and at school we searched through the Penguin books in the school library hoping to find a copy with that infamous orange and white cover.  My mother eventually bought a copy and thought I wouldn't find it hidden in her dressing table draw so I was able to read a few chapters whenever she and Dad were out of the house. Read

I wonder if they still use the terms John Thomas and Lady Jane in the film Biggrin

I watched Edie last weekend, Sheila Hancock plays the part of an 83 yo woman with an ambition to climb Suilven, close to Lochinver.  Suilven is a stunning mountain and we have visited Lochinver Pie Shop on many occasions and such a wonderful road from Ullapool to Lochinver where Suilven is visible all the way (in good weather), so we mainly watched it for the scenery.  We were pleasantly surprised to see a scene shot in what we think was Culag Hotel, where we have stayed many times wiith other Club members and always been amused with lack of facilities and poor state of repair but always a great breakfast to remember.  When we visited the Pie Shop last year it had suffered from lack of footfall during covid and it is now a take-away only with no restaurant.

john aston
john aston's picture

The Culag was the place to stay if you could afford to fish the River Kirkaig but since the Inver Lodge was built (tres posh ) the Culag is ...err...somewhat basic but friendly enough. I remember that the drawer in the bedside table was lined with a Lotus in JPS livery when I last stayed in 2016. The last use of JPS livery was  30 years earlier... 

Anyway , films . Here's a little gem of a documentary film  on Netflix - Romantic Road . A posh and eccentric barrister from Sussex called Rupert (he had to be really ) revisits his hippie youth accompanied by his wife and 1936  Rolls Royce on a tour of India , Nepal and Bangla Desh . Rupe and Mrs Rupe  turn out to be immensely likable, and unflappable in the face of breakdowns, terrifying Himalayan roads , deserts and bureaucracy. The sub continent is the real star - it looks amazing - vibrant , colourful , friendly and chaotic . Highly recommended    

wild bill
wild bill's picture

I really liked the Romantic Road. I loved their awareness of their privilege and the history of the Raj and i loved his/her eccentricity and it certainly showed the vibrancy of India and made me want to return. To some degree it was the English at their best eccentricity