1028 posts / 0 new
Last post
wild bill
wild bill's picture

Blimey. I'm just watching Enola 1 and i'm half way through. Watching the rest and 2 later today. As you say enjoyable light entertainment. John i watched AQOTWF on Thursday. I thought deeply harrowing as a film, extraordinary acting from pretty much all the cast. The tank counter attack was terrible to watch and the shellhole scene one of the saddest scenes on celluloid i've ever watched. This should almost be required watching at GCSE age to show the utter futility of all war. Once was enough.

Blue7
Blue7's picture

We considered watching AQOWF last weekend but wondered about our OAP staying power for 2.5 hours but in light of what John says I think we will have a go at it tonight and make a point of starting early.

My Great Uncle Fred was killed MIA on 14/07/1916 aged just 21 at Fricourt just east the town of Albert, near Mametz wood, which is north of Somme.  Three years earlier he was sacked from his job for being too old for the work he was doing.  Nine months before he died he wrote the following letter to his family:

Pte Evans, MGS (Machine Gun Section), 8th Royal Berks., BEF France

Oct. 16 1915

Dear Father and all

Just a few lines in answer to your letter which I received in the trenches last Tues.  You will be pleased to know that I went through my second charge last Thurs. without a scratch, so I can consider myself very lucky indeed I reckon.  We started to bombard their positions in earnest at 12 noon and the smoke went up a 1.55 pm our fellows going over at 2.5 pm as cool as if they were going upstairs to bed.  I was ammunitions carrier for the mg (machine gun), between the second and first line, not a very enviable job I’ll tell you as the Huns were shelling our communications trenches, to stop the supports coming up and it was a terrible job getting through what with the wounded and supports it was lovely you can bet I was glad when it was over I tell you  I was run off my legs almost, still it’s all in the game, and I suppose I hadn’t a right to grumble seeing that I came out alright, without a mark or anything.  I have just received a letter from that fellow who came down to our house and am answering it after this one.  We only had 4 days rest from the last attack you know and were in the trenches for 9 days this time but they say we are going to have a good rest this time.  Well I hope you all have plenty of work, they say in the papers W.P. (Weekly Post?), that they must stop recruiting from the Railways and mines as there will be terrible shortages in a few months time, as they cannot get sufficient men as it is.  Well I think this is all the news for the present so will close with fondest love to all at home

I Remain

Your Loving Son and Bro

Fred

P.S. I think I forgot to thank Mother for that card she sent me as I take the liberty of thanking her now.  It was a grand card I think

john aston
john aston's picture

How poignant . And yet we obediently wear our poppies , have our respectful silences and then utter the same tired old guff about how important it is to remember-  so that we can learn from history . And  we never , ever do.  

wild bill
wild bill's picture

Couldn't agree more John. Maybe the modern technology of film making will help toward understanding the futility. Sadly there will always be madmen. It always fascinates me that a small minority can enslave an entire populace (Hitler, Stalin Mao Putin etc.The list is endless) and no one ever says Nah not doing this. Although the recent refusal in Russia of conscription indicates that maybe a slow change in attitude might be happening. I'm not hopeful though. Patriotism has always utterly baffled me

rgrigsby

Just watched Terminal tonight, a nicely quirky film noir with Margot Robbie, Simon Pegg and Dexter Fletcher.

It isn't going to win an Oscar but looks lovely and has a nicely quirky sound track, definitely better than the mediocre reviews would suggest, I certainly enjoyed it.

mph
mph's picture

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn't search - but finally got around to watching Sound of Metal on Prime last night. Oh my, what an amazing film. My wife and I were still talking about it this morning. I sticking it up there with The Lives of Others as probably one of my favourite films. 

Golf Juliet Tango

On Monday I went to see "Leaning into the Wind" a second documentary about Andy Goldsworthy by Thomas Reidelsheimer i e. a follow-up to "Rivers and Tides".

Obviously less impact than the earlier film simply because of familiarity.  Goldsworthy himself has moved into larger more solid creations with permanence, which may reflect on the development of his career.

Still impressive and if you didn't catch the earlier film, I think you will be blown away, ad I was by "Rivers and Tides".

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty