44 posts / 0 new
Last post
Saltyhair81
Saltyhair81's picture

Thanks for all the replies guys.  I knew this was going to get a split in opinions, hence why I said a Dilemma.  I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.  I am due to go back to the dealer for a Speedo sensor calibration so when I do, I'm going to speak to the workshop manager and then chat to them about this upgrade/ fix.  Im definitely willing to make a contribution to resolving the problem, but feel under 200 miles and 6 weeks into ownership taking the whole cost is a bit strong.  I'll try and get over in the next few weeks and let you know how I get on. 
In the mean time, keep the comments flowing as im sure I won't be the only person in this predicament! 

620S SV

ScottR400D

You might find some interesting posts in this thread:

620 COOLING - RADIATOR BYPASS LOOP

By the way, does anyone know what Mark (CtrMint) finally ended up with as a solution on his 620? 

L7C
Golf Juliet Tango

Did you know of the issue with 620s before you sought one to buy?

Did you ask the dealer about the issue while negotiating the purchase?

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

Saltyhair81
Saltyhair81's picture

Yes I knew of the problem, I've had Caterhams over 3 years and looked into a 620 multiple times before purchase and the issues around them.  The test drive was short due to the weather so temps stayed around normal.  When I picked up the car, when they talked through everything I was told the temp should be at around 80. It was only when the weather wasn't sheet ice and I could drive it, the problem arose.  As I say, there is no direct blame aimed at the dealer as they may not have known either. However; I was told they take the car for a thorough drive as part of their PDI so I would have expected this to be noticed.  I don't think there is a straight solution any way this is looked at.  I personally think Caterham should recall and sort it FOC.  If not; the dealer should be held in some sort of position to argue the toss with Caterham.  As a consumer, you would expect the car to be fit for purpose regardless. 

620S SV

ScottR400D

There's nothing in CC's history that would suggest they'd even consider a recall, especially on a 6yo car.

The many issues owners have had with the Titan diff are a good example. CC have done absolutely nothing to assist the people who've had to spend a lot of money fixing things, even though they've acknowledged it as a problem. 

It's really up to you but, IMO, unless you exert your right to reject you'll not put pressure on to get the issue resolved. At the end of the day it is an indisputable fault that was clearly there on purchase so it's the dealers responsibility to get it fixed or take it back. 

L7C
John Vine
John Vine's picture

#16: 

I have no expertise at all (or even experience) in this area, but I'd be concerned about how the term "fault" is defined.  Is it (1) something that wasn't in the car when new but has developed since, or (2) something (in this case, a design shortcoming) already present in the car when it left the factory?

If the answer is the latter (which it would appear to be), I can't see how it can be a warranty issue, but I'm also left wondering whether rejection is an available remedy anyway?  

If it were my car, I'd want above all to preserve good relations with the dealer. 

JV  

Simon420R

I certainly don't want to derail this thread but has there ever been a recall by CC for anything? I'm only now becoming aware of the leaking radiator issue on 420Rs and assume no recall there either. 

The journey is the destination Driving

ScottR400D

The Cambridge Dictionary has as one definition:

"a broken part or weakness in a machine or system: Eg: The car has a serious design fault"

"If it were my car, I'd want above all to preserve good relations with the dealer." ?

Surely that cuts both ways? Though the dealer doesn't seem be too bothered about selling a car then asking for another £1000 to make it road usable.  

Anyway I'm sure the OP knows what he's doing, and will go his own way. 

L7C
Shortshift
Shortshift's picture

Recall campaigns are almost always (in fact, possibly just always) in response to either legal infringements or proven safety-related issues.

Shortfalls in utility do not fall under a recall mandate, though they might well be considered worthy of 'service', 'goodwill', 'customer retention' or 'brand reputation' initiatives.  Different OEMs will have different perspectives on when or if to offer these discretionary campaigns.

James

Drakman
Drakman's picture

Hi Guys and Girls,

Please excuse my ignorance, am i reading this right, the 620 is running too cold?

Dave