44 posts / 0 new
Last post
Saltyhair81
Saltyhair81's picture
620 Cooling Dilemma

Evening guys,

I have a dilemma/ some advice to ask.  I'm sure this may effect a few of you as well so hopefully this question will be useful! 

I purchased a 620S from a dealer in December.  The whole process was great and very pleased with the px, transaction and the whole experience.  After driving my 620 for a few days over the Christmas period I found it had the inherit cooling problem.  The car is running whilst moving at around 40-50 degrees.  I paid a lot of money for this vehicle but I also knew that the over cooling was a problem and no one knew if it had the issue or not.  I have emailed the company where I purchased the car and they have been great contacting Caterham, PGM etc re a fix.  They have come back to me and let me know that Caterham have released the fix and it will be £912 to sort by them after buying the kit and labour. 

So the dilemma is this..

Do I argue the toss that this should be sorted under warranty? I don't blame the dealer for the issue but also I paid a lot of money for a car with a running problem and maybe this should have been looked into? 

Should Caterham be sorting this issue as a recall as they clearly advertise it as a fix to a problem? Any larger manufacturer would so why should it be any different? Surely this is part of design and testing?

Lastly, should I just suck up the bill of £912 and get on with my life? I think we would all agree that even a few hundred quid is fine, but knocking on £1k is a different story and making me re think the situation. 

I know others have gone to PGM prior to the Caterham fix for an early resolution but now our manufacturer has admitted fault and a resolution, surely this should be pushed for a recall as this will caused damage to the car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

In England, from a dealer, used or new?

I don't know what your warranty says, but it won't reduce your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015: Current summary from the AA.

(Your contract is with the vendor, and it's up to them whether they try to recover anything from Caterham.)

Usual advice: don't delay, document everything as quickly as possible, keep the emotion out of it, and consider getting someone else to check your communications.

Do you have access to legal advice through a union, or subscription, or insurance policy, or anything?

Jonathan

Saltyhair81
Saltyhair81's picture

Hi Jonathan,

Used, 2016 car. It has I believe a 6 month warranty, covering everything I believe in their words. I will read through the documentation later; I thought I would get the general view on here first. 

I haven't spoken to the dealer about this yet, it's the first communication today re the fix. I don't have any legal advice access, was hoping it wouldn't get to this as they are pretty reasonable.  Just looking for a general view atm and what every other 620 owner is now going to do?

620S SV

7 wonders of th...

You comments should be aimed at CC for selling a car in this state in the first place...

The warranty you have is no doubt for items that fail, not that were no there in the first place, even though they should have been.

I would pursue CC for the cost of retro fitting of the kit.

It is not a difficult fix so perhaps they could offer that parts if you are competent and confident to fit them, not saying you should have to, but this may render a more rapid solution.

Wavey

Saltyhair81
Saltyhair81's picture

I 100% agree, I'm not aiming this at the dealer, more at CC. You can't moan at someone for selling something that has a documented issue.  This is the Dilemma! I think CC should be recalling the 620 for the modification, and are the new cars being sold as we speak even fitted with the upgrade? Hoping someone has some answers! 

620S SV

ScottR400D

It's a well known problem that CC and any dealer worth its salt has known about for a long time.

If it were me I'd be rejecting the car as unfit for purpose, which is quite a valid description in my opinion. That might get you the remedy you need one way or another.

I do agree with others that it's really an issue that is, and always has been, down to CC but as JK says, the legal responsibility is with the vendor.

L7C
PeterM
PeterM's picture

Surely the dealer will say they sold the car in good faith on  a buyer beware basis and it's an upgrade, not a fault. CC sre likely to say much the same.

Contact PGM, get it done  enjoy the car I say.

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

"Surely the dealer will say they sold the car in good faith on  a buyer beware basis and it's an upgrade, not a fault."

It's bought from a dealer: they're bound by the Consumer Rights Act.

Shirley

JP_Spencer
JP_Spencer's picture

I recently purchased a 620S that was built in October / November 2022. I mentioned the cooling issue to the dealer during the process who offered the workaround under warranty if the car exhibited the behaviors you describe. To date I haven't experienced the cooling issue - once the car has warmed up it's sitting comfortably at 90 degrees with an occasional drop to 70 for a short period when sat in traffic for a while. I did make a point when purchasing the car of asking if the ECU was flashed with the latest version, which it had been. 

Personally, I would first ensure your ECU is first running the latest version, and if the cooling issue remains then perhaps the dealer can meet you halfway (e.g., 50/50) on the Caterham workaround. Good luck!

ScottR400D

#7 Surely the dealer will say they sold the car in good faith on  a buyer beware basis and it's an upgrade, not a fault.

The dealer can't say that, he has legal obligations. It's clearly a (well known) fault and there's no such thing as a 'buyer beware basis' if you're a dealer. 

L7C
ScottR400D

#9 A car built around then is likely to have the latest cooling system, assuming CC ever finished it? Or maybe PGM's upgrade.

L7C