2022 F1 SEASON INCL SPOILERS

352 posts / 0 new
Last post
rgrigsby

A surprisingly entertaining race overall. Some decent battles up and down the field.

Max did well to hold off Sainz, there was a 6 lap tyre life difference in Sainz's favour but he just didn't seem to have enough traction to take advantage of the DRS speed advantage. Max didn't make any mistakes which is all he needed to do.

Leclerc seemed to struggle in the middle of the race quite a bit, 5th isn't a bad result considering he started at the back. He has a mountain to climb to get back into the title race though.

Good to see the Mercedes up there, in reality they aren't any closer in terms of pace but just managed to avoid problems. For all the criticism of their design, its still the 3rd fastest car out there.

I suspect the discussions around the technical directive are going to rumble on for a bit, Ferrari are saying that it does not consider the new directors to be applicable. I'm not entirely sure what they mean by that.

ScottR400D

Woolf at it again? 

"I think in a way we have dissected what we define as porpoising or bouncing, and it is that the porpoising, which is the aerodynamic movement of the car, I think that's solved and we got on top of this around Barcelona," he explained.

"It is more that the ride of the cars is really what causes the comments of the drivers. The cars are simply all too stiff. The kerb ride is bad, the bump ride is bad and I would say that now, with dissecting this problem, you can tackle it better."

Wolff thinks the progress that Mercedes has made on porpoising has put its car in a similar setup window to rivals, who also appear to be suffering from how stiff things need to be run.

"What we see in the cars is just the stiffness," he said. "You look at some of the slow motions from the two leading cars and the Alpines, you see that they are bouncing off the kerb in a very hard way."

From what I saw and Brundle commented on it, the Ferraris and RBs were rolling over the biggest kerbs quite happily.  

There's a new row about whether the FIA tipped off Mercedes about some of the rule changes too, to which Woolf has, with some irony IMO, said:

"This situation has clearly gone too far," Wolff said. "Team principals trying to play political games is disingenuous."

Hehe

L7C
mark_w
mark_w's picture

two racism incidents in a week ahead of the British GP , the Piquet one dates back to November so maybe a coincidence that its come to light now for a bit of added spice. With Vips being 21 doesn't look like the "archaic mindset" is going to change any time soon either, Red Bull acted fast with Vips but nothing from them on the Piquet one !

rgrigsby

Its a bit odd that Vips has retained his seat with the F2 team though.

Looking forward to the race this weekend, a proper race track where the cars and drivers are really having to work hard.

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

Piquet has apologised with a bit of a "sorry - but..." apology and oddly, HiTech are still allowing Vips to finish his season in their F2 car, despite being fired by Red Bull. F2 themselves don't seem too pleased with the decision.

Probably haven't heard the end of either of these.

OldAndrewE
OldAndrewE's picture

Andrew

1985 S3 1700 XFlow.  Undergoing full restoration

Golf Juliet Tango

I'm sure there are a few people who would happily deliver it!

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

ScottR400D

Well, we know he has a gun, it was in his suitcase at the airport a few weeks ago. 

Feel free to use it Bernie, I truly doubt you'll be missed by many. 

L7C
BBL
BBL's picture

You Brits and your guns!

Smile Sean

Golf Juliet Tango

Rofl Thumb Up

Tongue  Shoot

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty