17 posts / 0 new
Last post
150SV
150 Sigma fuelling

My car has the 150 Caterham kit fitted.

Generally, it pulls well. It does have issues from a closed throttle to opening, in that it occasionally coughs bangs and farts until it clears it's throat.

I have been in contact with Steve G who says he can remap the car and improve the fuelling across the range.

my query, I guess...do I spend that money or spend a little more with Premier ?

I don't know if it would work, but I'd love to have the RBTB if they sound as good on the Sigma as they do on a K..

Amos91
Amos91's picture

The Caterham bodies aren't that great in my opinion so if there is an option to switch, I think that will be the best bet.

Otherwise I assume yours are all perfectly balanced?  All pulling the same air, TPS idle at 1.04v, idle 950rpm via Easymap?

Olly Amos - 2008 Caterham Superlight Sigma 150

150SV

I don't have easimap sadly, nor do I have the tool for syncing .

I have heard that the TB's aren't great, hence considering the RBTB option...

Andy135
Andy135's picture

#2, what is it about the Caterham/Titan TB's that aren't great? Curious to hear opinions - I've recently picked up a new-to-me sigma Superlight 150 so am interested to know more about them.

Amos91
Amos91's picture

The Superlights 150s didn't have a great production history and Caterham spent a lot of time revising maps (and even the throttle bodies) to try and make them more reliable.

When they are working they are okay but they are pretty finicky to setup right and they can go out of adjustment again relatively quickly.

Buying Easimap & a carb air flow meter is an absolute must with 150 ownership in my opinion to make sure they are working effectively.

Otherwise when they are out of balance, they play up - car is lumpy at idle, starts kangarooing in traffic to name the prominent issues.

Olly Amos - 2008 Caterham Superlight Sigma 150

150SV

Andy, I have heard they aren't the best in terms of quality. And adjustments regualRly creep .

SM25T
SM25T's picture

150s were awful. Many were converted to 140 spec to improve driveability

Andy135
Andy135's picture

I understand and have heard all of the above in relation to mapping & balancing of throttles, but in relation to the quality of the Caterham/Titan bodies themselves I'm curious to know how they differ from AT or Jenvey offerings. It seems to me that any adjustment creep should be able to be isolated/permanently fixed by the end-user unless something about them is just fundamentally wrong?

I've researched the archives but haven't found a definitive explanation of why the 150 ITB's behave the way they do. The mapping seems to have been resolved, along with the disconnection of the MAP sensor, so if the ITB adjustment creep can be fixed then this should solve their reputational issue.

150SV

My instinct tells me that if that were the case, they would t have the rep they do.....

I wouldn't say they're awful at all, I enjoy the car a lot, but it would be nice if it didn't occasionally cough and bang as I'm trying to pull out....

Kingsley Young
Kingsley Young's picture

I have a 150 and Steve totally sorted it , absolute pleasure  to drive the car !

Kingsley

150SV

That's good the hear ! Have you found it to be a lasting fix ?

what did he change to improve it and what sort of percentage improvement would you say ?